Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I find out which pruning group?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 13:29

I don't know how to determine what group these are in for pruning. 1 or 2? I know they are not fall: I have sweet autumn clematis too.

They are Huldine, which is a white, a double white whose name I can't recall, which has only a few flowers each year, and Polish Spirit, a purple one with 4 petals on each flower.

Huldine, which is 4 years old, has thus far not bloomed, or if it did, I missed it, so I don't know when it is supposed to. The Polish Spirit is a huge vigorous tangle right next to it, and has grown and bloomed just fine. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I find out which pruning group?

linnea55, There are many great websites that list most clematis and what pruning group they are.
I have a printed list from my last purchase of clematis.
Huldine is a type 3, that means it needs to be cut back in late winter early spring, hard, meaning less than 12"-24" If you have not cut it back, that may be the reason you haven't seen any blooms. It blooms on new wood. Huldine should be a great bloomer! Dutches of Edinburg could be your double white, if it is, I have been a little disappointed in mine. It is a type 2, blooming on old and new wood. Polish Spirit is a type 3, it should be pruned hard as well. These are two good websites, there are many more also. You can also just google the name and pruning. You may find different opinions on each variety the more you search, and under different circumstances.
Good luck, Debra
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/

Here is a link that might be useful: Home of Clematis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here