Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Please tell me color of Hagley Hybrid

carla17
15 years ago

Before I plant this, I'd like to know a more precise color.

Thank you,

Carla

Comments (12)

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

It's a medium pink. It can fade to a light pink in full sun.

{{gwi:582071}}

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

It will fade to a very light pink in a very short time with just morning sun in my Kernersville, NC garden in the middle of the summer. It is definitely not one to grow here in the piedmont of NC if you want the more vibrant pink color shown by flowerfan. The darker more saturated colors tend to do better here although I must admit that Betty Corning seems to keep her original light pink coloration being in full sun all day long.

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Hi Miguel, up here in the cool PNW, Betty is always blue.
    Karen

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flowerfan, thank you and thanks for the photo. I don't know if this clem will be suitable long run but due to your advice, I'll try a less sunny position.
    nckvilledudes, I'm still trying to work out your screen name. Thank you for the information. Maybe all of my others will be perfect. I'm so excited to see the new ones bloom!

Carla

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Karen, Betty Corning is one of those clematis whose color for me is always hard to describe. Sometimes it does have a blue cast but for me it is more pink than blue. Even COTW describes it as lilac or pinky-blue and that is how it looks growing in England and not in the south. Your conditions mimic those in England more than any other place here in the US. Move south and out of the PNW and you will see the effect the sun has on many of the lighter colored clematis. Here is a shot of several flowers of Ramona--bet you can guess which one is the recently opened flower and which ones have been open for a few days in the summer sun.

{{gwi:573500}}

Here is a shot of Betty Corning up close along with Viola in my garden for color purposes.

{{gwi:582072}}

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Carla, the screen name is NC for North Carolina, Kville for Kernersville, and the dudes part is pretty self explanatory!
    :)

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nckvilledudes, thank you for that decoding. It was late and my mind was not that sharp then :-)
    I enjoyed your pictures. While I love a white one, if I purchase color, I want color. Not on purpose but most of my clems are in places that don't get hot afternoon sun and now I'm glad of that, well, I have to correct myself. I planted two new ones on an arbor with two white roses. Don't remember without looking what they are but think one is dark pink.

Carla

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Flowerfan's photo looks more "orchidy" to me.
    Hagley Hybrid has never been saturated of a color for me.It faded badly for me too so I moved it to partial shade.

Ramona doesn't fade that badly for me but Richard Pennell did before I moved it.

{{gwi:582073}}

I would call Betty Corning lavender. :) Etoile Violette is the other Clematis

{{gwi:582074}}

She looks a bit more pink next to Lady Diana

{{gwi:582075}}

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Excellent photos!!!

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Like I said BorS, the color is difficult to describe on Betty Corning--she is almost chameleon like. To me it looks pink, you call it lavender in one picture and more pink in another. We all see colors differently! Again, I would like to see more pictures of her growing in climates more unlike those of England and from the zones even hotter than I garden in to see if heat has an even more pronounced effect on the color and more intense sun affects the perceived color.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I wasn't arguing with you :)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you were. ;) Just noting that what color one perceives is so subjective--especially those very pale ones that sort of live between two color shades.