Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does 'free flowering' mean?

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 13:44

I see this a lot in the descriptions and I'm not sure what it means.
thanks!
Natanya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does 'free flowering' mean?

Easily gives lots of blossoms, and possibly a long bloom time. Expect a good number of blooms at an earlier age than most cultivators. Generalizing a bit, but they're normally not the large-flowered hybrids.

o
RE: What does 'free flowering' mean?

I agree in most part with the above :-) A good number of the newer Evison introductions are described as "free flowering", especially the so-called 'patio' clematis. They tend to bloom early, while the plant is still quite young, and have no defined bloom season, but rather produce flowers over an extended period.

'Harlow Carr' is one clematis that I'd certainly describe as free flowering -- I've never grown any other clematis that produced the number of blooms this one does and over such a long period. It is in pretty much constant bloom over the entire growing season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here