Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forensicmom

Clematis with Morning Glories?

forensicmom
14 years ago

I have a ton of clematis (Thanks to Jeanne) and I love them. I have 'Henryi' on one side of an arbor with 'Ville de Lyon' on the other side. However, since Ville is still VERY young, I was wondering how would a purple morning glory work and look with it?

My 9 year old daughter wants to plant some things and I let her pick out the morning glory seeds before I thought where we can plant them. My only other spot is in the shade and I don't think they do well there.

Since Ville is a pruning 3, I figured it would be easier to remove the MG next year anyway.

Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

Morning glories will be far too vigorous for the clematis, even a full sized one. They would cover it up completely. Also keep in mind Morning glories reseed for years and years afterwards and are considered weedy because of this. I still have some coming up 9 years after I've had a morning glory plant in my yard.

• northerngirl_mi
    14 years ago

I agree with Michael -
    The morning glory will totally smother the young clematis - it will not get enough sun as it will be hidden under morning-glory leaves. (been there - tried that - wouldn't do it again).

Perhaps there is a better-behaved annual vine for additional coverage in the early years... Maybe sweet pea???

Beth
    Z5 - Northern Michigan

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I also agree

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

I'd buy a separate trellis and dig a separate space just for your daughter. That way it belongs just to her, and you don't need to jeopardize your young clematis.

Kate

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Hey FM..I have to agree with Mike etal..Especially here in Texas..I am constantly pulling up morning glory seedlings..they are very invasive here and smother my clematis..Why not just plant another Pr. Group 3 clematis and for a fast and effective look..Clematis "Polish Spirit"

• forensicmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for responding.

Something must have happened to mine because I never had the one I planted before reseed. That's a good thing.

I like the idea of getting another trellis or something for her to use and we can plant the morning glories there.

I will keep my eyes out for a special clematis (Mother's Day maybe). I just used birthday money today to buy a Patio Clematis 'Picardy'. It's beautiful and I can't wait to show off the pictures. It's a small one 3-4'.

• rkerner
    14 years ago

I made the mistake of planting morning glories in my back along the fence. Now 6 years later, I still can't get rid of them! I can't plant anything else back there because the MG's strangle everything!

• auntlavender
    14 years ago

I'm wondering about the kind of mg's you're all referring to (the unwanted re-seeders). I plant 'heavenly blue" every year because I adore it, sadly, it never reseeds. I know the "purple ones" are the kind that can re-seed though, and perniciously (grandpa ott?).

I grew 'heavenly blue' on a trellis with warsaw nike and it worked out because the morning glories tend to be baldish until the are about 5-6 feet high. So they went way up high and flowered and warsaw nike flowered just below.

Not that 'heavenly blue' and 'warsaw nike' were an inspired color combination....

• nwrose
    12 years ago

I agree with auntlavender; my heavenly blue or grandpa ott never has reseeded.
    I have saved the seed and started them in the grnhs with great success.
    I love the notion of little miss having her own space. Just think about her joy.
    Smiles,
    D....

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I purchased Heavenly Blue twice, once seeds and once potted and both times it bloomed purple not heavenly blue and both times the plants seeded for several years....

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor