Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning/cutting off a trellis

Posted by Kris61 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 13:56

I have a clematis that blooms mid to late summer, has clusters of small white blooms. Can't remember the name but think the name included "lace". This is it's third year. It has grown up a trellis and the top of the trellis looks like a dead bush. From the ground to the top there is not much coverage or blooms, at the top it's very full. I've never cut it back. It looks awful. The whole top of the trellis is brown and thick. Birds are nesting in it. Should I cut all that off the top of the trellis? I'm not sure what to do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning/cutting off a trellis

Blooming mid- to late summer would indicate a pruning group 3 or hard-prune clematis. These bloom on new growth each season and should be cut back to the third set of buds from the ground annually in late winter. It's getting a little late but prune it now. It will clean things up and at worst, it might delay the bloom period slightly.

FWIW, all clematis types benefit from hard pruning for their first couple of seasons in the ground. And while pruning guidelines are just that - guidelines - I've yet to see pruning group 3 clem that didn't look (and bloom) better after a good hard prune. Otherwise, they just end up a mess of tangled dead vines with some green at the top.

o
RE: pruning/cutting off a trellis

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here