Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Fertilizer Recipe

Posted by sayhellonow 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 14:03

There is a homemade clematis fertilizer that uses beer and epsom salts. Does anyone have the recipe and, if so, when should I begin using it, and how often?

Thanks so much, in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Fertilizer Recipe

If you do a search under "miracle clematis fertilizer" you will see a link to an alternate gardening forum (can't mention here) that has the recipe. Otherwise you can fork out the $20 bucks for the "book" written by this supposed expert (whose expertise seems to be limited to ripping people off!).

As I teach classes on horticulture and soils and fertilizers in particular, I wouldn't touch this stuff with a ten foot pole! It does NOT provide the full range of plant nutrients and what it does provide can be very harmful if the concoction is missapplied. It also does nothing to encourage a healthy soil life, which is critical to good plant growth. If you want to use a homemade 'fertilizer', make your own compost. Supplement that with alfalfa meal or alfalfa meal tea. Otherwise, any commercial rose or tomato fertilizer (organic preferred) will work equally as well.

FWIW, be wary of any fertilizer that reputedly results in amazingly rapid and lush growth or promises miracles. That is NOT how fertilizers are supposed to work and lush, rapid growth is prone to all sorts of insect and disease issues and is vulnerable to temperature swings. Slow and steady is what you want, which any proper fertilizing program will achieve.

o
RE: Homemade Fertilizer Recipe

1 can beer
1 cup epsom salt
1/2 cup ammonia
2 cups water

Mix together and add 1/2 oz to 1 gallon of water, feed every 2 weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here