Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikesin

help selecting near brick house please

mikesin
13 years ago

Hello, we are planning on planting a row of clematis on the southern side of our brick house. We would like to plant it as close to the brick as possible (maybe 1 ft away). Our concern is this area is full sun and the bricks get hot from the sun. Will the heat radiating from the bricks cause issues with clematis plants? Any suggestions on which ones may do better in this environment? We are on the border of z5/6. We tend to plant z5 plants just in case.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (7)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Mikesin, I don't think it's too much of a problem about the brick, as the clematis grow they'll help to shade the brick and reduce the amount of heat reflecting back on them.

Some will say that planting clematis or any plants that close to the foundation is not advisable, though my plants are probably about 9 inches away and suffer no ill effects. Dig large holes and incorporate plenty of peat moss and compost and keep your plants well watered and fed.

As for what clematis to choose ... depends on what you like, though many of the type III hard prune varieties grow and establish quickly. Just be sure to select properly for the height you desire, you'll have plenty of options to choose from.

Terrance

• bob414
    13 years ago

You do realize that clematis won't climb on brick? You need to provide some sort of trellis for them to hold onto.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I would use Type III viticella cultivars and you will need a trellis. Dig big holes or dig up the entire area and amend heavily with compost.

• mikesin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all of the replys and suggestions. And yes, we are currently designing a trellis frame using either string or fishing line for it to grab hold of..

• sue_in_nova_scotia
    13 years ago

We have clematis on our brick we used a wire trellis system available from lee valley. I find it works well but you must use only the silicone that comes with it...the only ones that have come off in 3 years were the ones that I attached with regular silicone (both exterior and marine).

Here is a link that might be useful: lee valley wall trelllis kit

• mikesin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks sue, I like that WAY better than what we have come up with :)

• goren
    13 years ago

I was going to suggest the fishline if it can be tied to something above...such as a eavestrough but the commercial wire trellis sounds much the same.
    When you plant, put the plant at an angle slightly toward the brick of the house. The stems will grow toward the trellis effect and you wont need to guide them so much.
    I'm sure the instructions that come with the plant describes such method.
    Be sure to inspect the plant for any sign of damage through planting and remove any other possible damaged stems so they wont impede their early growth.

Clematis take their sweet time to grow and flower...the old saying..first year it sleeps, the second it creeps, the third year it leaps.....can be a gardeners' recipe for patience.