Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

Chalk Hill last year sale - what is your statistic?

alina_1
14 years ago

Like many of you, I bought many (16) Clematis at Chalk Hill when they were having their sale last year.

How do your new arrivals doing?

My statistic:

4 were dead on arrival. Never grew.

2 are really wonderful - large rootballs, many sprouts this spring.

10 are alive, but less impressive. Some of them are smaller than starter Donahue's babies.

Comments (16)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I bought eight and two are alive. Barely. These ended up to be very expensive. Tie Dye and Mary Rose

{{gwi:582317}}

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

All of mine did well, I believe 6 of them.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

All of mine did great...Jeanne

• alina_1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucky you Jeanne and Michael!
    I agree with BorS, they turned out to be very expensive with their ridiculously high shipping cost and those dead ones. I did get some very unusual varieties with this order. I would have not ordered the more common ones if I knew the result though...

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I could have purchased Tie Dye from Debbie Fischer but flore pleno 'Mary Rose' I'd never seen anywhere else but I spent over $80!

If the other four had lived I still over-paid according to my local prices/sizes but Tie Dye was the only one I'd seen anywhere else to buy.

Rose Konigskind, Lady Grey, Bettina (Betty's Beetroot Beauty) and Cassis were the other four.

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

Rosa Konigskind is a weak grower in my experience. Not dwarfy and slow growing like Konigskind, just weak and prone to dying off.

Hopefully you can find another Cassis - that one is gorgeous!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

That is the second mail order Cassis that arrived nearly dead and never grew a single leaf for me...The first was from Park Seed.

It is gorgeous, I want one dang it.

• Hepatica
    14 years ago

Cassis is very slow-growing and weak in my garden. I bought it in a 5-inch pot at a local grocery store four or five years ago and it still isn't performing like I would hope.

I bought lots of clematises that I coudn't find anywhere else at the Chalk Hill sale. Most of them are doing well, but a few of the ones I really wanted (Mary Rose, Sialia, and Kaiu) didn't survive. :(

• katie
    14 years ago

I bought at least eight (I picked them up). I know I lost at least 3 including Cassis. My Mary Rose is still hanging on.

Katie

• robiniaquest
    13 years ago

I guess I got off lucky. Out of 6, only one died (shortly after arrival - it was a mess). One, I thought for sure was a goner, but it's appeared this spring. It is pretty tiny, though.

One was mislabeled. I asked for Sialia, and got what must be the atragene Koreana. It's pretty cute.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Bettina and Rosa Kongiskind were alive when I received them. I planted them out in the garden immediately. They both died off and when I dug around their crowns and roots were rotted away.

Cassis was DOA or very close to it. Lady Grey, Tie Dye and Mary Rose were so small and weak that I potted them up.

I've planted Tie Dye out last month. Lady Grey shows no signs of life. Mary Rose has been pinched back because where I want to put her isn't ready yet.

• robiniaquest
    13 years ago

I think that potting mix was just way too moisture retentive, for one thing. The other orders I had gotten from them in the past also had problems. Root rot, very weak plants. I remember their claim was that the special long pot was supposed to foster this spectacular root growth, but if anything, it seemed to be the opposite. Not saying it was the pot, but maybe that odd potting mix. It just seemed glued to the roots (such as they were...) when you pulled it out of the pot.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I got pots full of rocks and peat. Not roots and soil.

• alina_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with Robinia - very soggy and heavy potting medium. An ideal environment for rotting. And paying that postage to ship this horrible stuff... So frustrating...

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I only went through with the order to get varieties I could not find anywhere else, even at 50% off I was paying more than I've ever paid for a Clematis locally and with 4 out of 6 being dead......

• gardengirl_17
    13 years ago

Ordered 24 plants and all are doing well except Alionushka who seems to have died. Some are bigger than others, but I attribute that more to the place where I planted them rather than the plants themselves. Some of them are doing amazingly well - Romantika, Wallenburg, Tie Dye, Harlow Carr, Cardinal Wyzinski to name a few.