Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

I Gotta Mess

sandyl
14 years ago

Well I got a mess, and I donÂt know how to handle it. My Ramona which there is two planted together has really been growing well, she done great last year with probably over 75 plus blooms and I even got a second flush from her last year. Early this spring I pruned her down to about 14 to 16" and she started shooting out sprouts from the ground and now she is so thick with vines I canÂt even get into the center of her and she only has 5 buds on her which havenÂt yet bloomed. I canÂt even see through to her center. I think I have pruned her too much and she is now mostly vines. I canÂt even work my way into the center of her for the THICK MESS OF VINES.Please note the vines are all green and heathy just to thick. Think of the worse mess and thatÂs what she is. What can I do to get her back into some kind of shape? Please donÂt say prune because I think thatÂs what got her into the shape she is in now. IÂm also not gonna give her anymore cow manure tea either. I have an obese clematis and need help. Sandy

Comments (8)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

What you are describing it what most of us want our Clematis to do.

Train the vines where you want them to go and leave her alone.

She isn't a hard prune every year Clematis.

These vines will all bloom next year if not this fall.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

BoS is correct..more vines equal bigger more gorgeous clematis and tons of new BLOOMS!!..but, don't prune her like that again after this for when you do you lose her early blooms but will probably have a fabulous flush this late summer/early Fall..and next year you are going to be gah gah with her new found beauty!...Jeanne

• sandyl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks BoS and Jeanne, My Ramona's main problem is she is on a circular trellis in the middle of my yard and all she able to do is go round and round and round as she goes up. I'll leave her alone and hope for the best. I think during the summer i'm gonna have to rethink the trellis she is on and modify it once she does what ever she is able to do later concerning her bloom time. I'll do nothin until later in the fall. Here are acouple pictures of her taken today. {{gwi:582611}}

picture of the top section of Ramona with all the many many tangled up vines;Please note she can go straight up to about 10 to 12 feet high. {{gwi:582612}}

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous! Mine get in a tangled up mess before they ever grow up that high. One of them is on a round type trellis like what you have. I can only hope it will one day look as good as yours!

Deanna

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

She looks fantastic and not a mess. She'll flop back down over herself when she gets too top heavy. Not a problem. I sure wish mine was that full.

• flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

Maybe she got a tad too much nitrogen??

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Typical when the Trellis or Obelisk isn't tall enough to accomodate her height..but wait till she blooms..you just won't care how twisted she seems..a gorgeous specimen!!..Please share pics when in full bloom...Jeanne

• sandyl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, If ya'll don't think she's a mess I quess then she isn't. I'll post pictures of her when she does bloom. The twisted vines still like about two feet to the top of the round Trellis that she is on, its like she is growing way to fast to keep up with herself on the trellis. She has already been tied up twice. My biggest mess happened yesterday while I was at work, Asao FELL off the front porch. Wind blow her off I guess. I pulled up in the drive way and said where's Asao, Thought she had been stolen. Got out of the car and walked around the corner of the porch and there she lay....She was beautiful and full of blooms. You can see her picture further down the list from last week..I was one sad clematis momma, she even fell plum out of her pot, and the obelisk she was on broke some of her.She'll be ok, but I was a mess at the time.. I guess it's time for her to go in the ground, she's five years old. Sandy