Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warning: might be a stupid question

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 15:34

I'm wondering if the clematis will grow over our thin wire fence and bloom on our neighbor's side instead of our side. I'm planting them on the south side of our property in full sun up against the old, ugly wire fence in order to block the appearance of the fence and the 3 foot tall tree stumps just over the fence on my neighbors side. (Which is now almost covered with invasive ivy).

Although I like my neighbor just fine, I'm planting them so I can enjoy them.

Can I train them to stay mostly on my side? Is this even an issue? Is this a stupid question?

Can I try to get rid of the invasive ivy without harming the clematis?

THANKS so much for any help,
Natanya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warning: might be a stupid question

Not a stupid question. The answer depends. Some of mine have grown up and over and are blooming more on the neighbor's side which irks me to no end but the neighbor's side is sunnier. They are planted on the east side and grow to the west.

Ivy is really tough. I sprayed Round up over our fence at the ivy that was growing behind the neighbor's shed up against our fence for years. Don't think the neighbor even knew it was there. Round up is not active in soil, just foliage so if you don't spray the clematis it should be fine. If there is ivy growing where you want to plant you are going to have to dig it out first. It will choke the clematis.

o

thanks for the tip about the ivy. I can't stand it.

o

I'm not a fan either. It smothers great swaths of woodlands here. Choking everything in it's path. It is listed as a noxious weed but people still have it. Some of the miniatures are pretty in pots in the house but the rest of it is a menace. It is almost as bad as kudzu here. I mean as bad as kudzu is in the South.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here