Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timing of Bud Set

Posted by butterclem z6 W.PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 15:52

Hi,

If I know when a particular clematis first bloomed last year (and I do for some, but not all), can I work backwards and ascertain approximately when I should expect them to set buds? Is it much different for viticellas vs. integrifolias? I want to be positive I don't administer a dose of rose fertilizer too close to bud time. Everything got rose fertilizer yesterday on its regular two-week schedule, but today, which is unseasonably warm, I think maybe I see the start of a couple of buds. I can't be sure at this point. Is there a rule of thumb for the interval between bud set and bloom? Most of my clematises first bloomed around June 15 last year.

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timing of Bud Set

If you are fertilizing with organic slow release fertilizers, you won't affect your blooms. I have fertilized when things were budded up quite a bit and even blooming with an organic fertilizer and it doesn't seem to have affected them at all. What you don't want to do is hit them with a high nitrogen fast acting fertilizer as that might shorten the bloom time.

As to whethere you can guesstimate when something might bloom based on when they bloomed last year, the answer is sort of. What you can't factor in however is whether this year spring arrived earlier and how that might affect bloom time or how the plants being more established in the ground might affect their bloom time.

o

Nobody said this was easy! The good news in your message is that since I'm using Espoma Rose-Tone, I shouldn't have to worry if some of them start setting buds this week even though I fertilized a couple of days ago. The not-so-good news is that this isn't a science. I will never be able to reduce it to a spreadsheet that guarantees success. It's not that I didn't already know this, but I keep trying to nibble at the edges of predictability. Thanks for responding.

o

Not a problem. Just realize that when you finally think you have something figured out is when something happens that makes you wonder if you ever really knew anything at all! ;)

o

"Just realize that when you finally think you have something figured out is when something happens that makes you wonder if you ever really knew anything at all! ;)"

That has got to be one of the best statements in regards to clematis that I ever heard. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here