Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have dilemma! Bars on arbor too fat for Clems to grab hold of.

Posted by pump_toad z4 iowa (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 15:52

Oh my, I bought this very large, heavy duty arbor which I think was homemade.Now I realize the bars are too fat for a clematis to be able to grab ahold. Is there any kind of wire I can wind around the bars or a type of netting.I like the look of it and want to keep it so I am hoping someone has a suggestion.
Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have dilemma! Bars on arbor too fat for Clems to grab hold

I feel your pain. Have been there and done that. I have tried chicken wire and that did not work well, too small. Going to try livestock fencing. Nylon net works too if you get the big stuff not the tiny holes.

o

I have those rolls of "chicken wire" fencing that you buy at Tractor Supply Store, and used those plastic zip ties to anchor the wire fencing to the trellis. Worked like a charm for me. They have no problem climbing up that either.
Here is a pic. You can just see the fencing behind Crystal Fountain clem.

Crystal Fountain Clematis 2009

o

I have a lattice trellis with slats that are too wide for the clematis to wrap around. This year I am trying that nylon trellis netting, attached with zip ties. It claims it has a breaking strength of sixty pounds. The only thing I don't like about it is that the strings are kind of far apart, but it seems to be working so far. Also the netting was kind of hard to find in my area. I must have been to 6 or 8 different hardware stores and nurseries before I finally tracked it down.

Totally Confused

o

I used that same green coated chicken wire on on of my arbors that had slats too far apart and it doesn't work very well for me. odd.

My lattice trellises are also too wide.

o

I use fishing line and weave it through the lattice, tieing it at top and bottom.

o

You could also just weave it through the slats and tie it in here and there. I do this for a number of my trellises - it works fine for them to support themselves.

o

Thanks for the advise from all of you.The weather here has turned rather chilly so I haven't had the urge to get to the Garden Centers.We had a few nice warm days and everyone was excited to go plant shopping and now this. Bummer!
Lois

o

actually, if you decide to look for fishing line, you want to go to the sporting goods store (Sports Authority, etc.) And you will find different thicknesses too. You don't want too thin (breaks) or too thick (doesn't bend and tie easily).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here