Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

Rebar Trellis Question

sandyl
13 years ago

I did a search for the rebar trellis post and find it interesting and think I might give it a try. I need a couple tall trellis's. The one's I seen in the post have the hose clamp at the top to hold them together, now my question is how do you achor / drive them in the ground? I figure I would need at least a couple feet in the ground. My way, which I'm sure would be over kill would be to dig three hole's at a slant just big enough to insert a piece of 3" or 4" PVC pipe and pour concrete into the PVC pipe and then insert the three rebar legs into the concrete. Once it set up I don't think it would be going anywhere, but is there an easier way? I don't want them to fall or turn over in the future once my darling clem's are go up them. Turning over can't be an option. I have several that need something a lot taller then they currently have. If I could get this fugured out I can just build the rebar trellis around the Clematis's and not disturb their root systems and leave them all where they are. If you have the rebar trellis's in use please pass along how you installed them. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I have a couple of trellises anchored using rebar just pushed into the ground about a foot or so deep, but I have fine sandy loam soil so it wasn't too difficult to push it in that far. They seem pretty solid.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

I agree with nhbabs.

• carolfm
    13 years ago

We stood on a ladder and drove the three pieces into the ground, pulled the three pieces together at the top and attached the hose clamp. Probably took 10 minutes. We've had storms, high winds and tornados ripping all around us this year that have taken out trees and ripped up roofs and the rebar is still standing. No PVC pipe or cement is necessary.

Carol

• sandyl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Carol. I went to Lowes this afternoon and purchased 4 10 foot sections of rebar and I have large hose clamps so I'll see if I can get two made this weekend. Sandy

• sandyl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Correction.. I meant to say I purchased 8 10-foot sections. I'll be using 4 sections for each trellis. Sandy

• jillian333
    12 years ago

Can you post pictures when you're done I'm interested to know how it turns out. I'm planning on replacing my trellis as well.

• katie
    12 years ago

I put 5 rebar arbors in the ground over eight years ago. On the largest one I reinforced each side with a second piece of rebar and used hose clamps to fasten them together. This one did not have winter damage. But this winter two of the unreinforced arbors blew over. They are starting to rust pretty badly about 6" to 12" off of the ground and bent there when they blew over. Since I was able to pull them back up (with help) I simply reinforced the sides by driving another long piece of rebar into the side on each leg of the arbor. I fastened each old leg to the new leg beside it with bailing wire. They did stay up in the next storm and look to be OK. With growth on them they look fine. These rebar legs have been in dirt with no concrete around them for 8 years now - pretty good!

Katie

• sandyl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Katie
    That sounds like a good plan. I hope to get them up this weekend. I'll post pictures when I have them up. Sandy

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

I like this idea. Questions:

- How deep into the ground do you pound each piece of rebar?

- Do you ever have problems with the rebar getting too hot in the summer and burning the vines/plants attached to them? Probably not - you're not in Florida with clematis.

- How do you attach vines to the rebar? I have some long, sprawling plants but they don't have tendrils. They will have to be gently wrapped around the rebar and tied up. Will that green gardener tape work? Is there something better?

Thanks,
    Carol

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Hot rebar or black painted metal hasn't been an issue for me. In summer my rebar trellises have more than 11 hours of full sun. Temperatures are usually in the 80's and often over 90 degrees. (There were days that DH's weather in NH was hotter than mine in NOLA where I was traveling.)

In early summer I guide the vines toward the rebar and then they crawl up on their own after that, but most of mine are type 3 clematis that get pruned to the ground annually. Clematis don't have tendrils like peas; they wrap their leaf petioles (leaf stems) around things.

My trellis legs are about a foot into the ground, and they haven't moved over 2 or 3 seasons that they have been up.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida