Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juells3

What clematis has the longest bloom time?

juells3
13 years ago

I'm looking for a clematis that will bloom for an extended time in Ohio zone 5/6. Also, will deer & other critters eat it?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

My Roguchi blooms for an extended time. It's a smaller, bell-shaped flower, but it's vigorous for me and lovely.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Daniel Deronda is my longest blooming Type II. Juuli is my longest blooming Type III.

• redsox_gw
    13 years ago

My Rooguchi also blooms a crazy long time. It is a fantastic plant and builds very quickly. In 2 years it is robust.

• cherieoh
    13 years ago

My Jackmanii clematis blooms profusely nearly all summer long here in north central Ohio as long as I keep it well-watered during dry spells. It will drop it's flowers during prolonged extreme heat, but that's rare here. As soon as the weather cools a bit, it blooms all over again, though not as profusely as it does in late spring and early summer. I get so many compliments on it. I just love it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Specific growing conditions will often influence just how long any type of clematis will bloom. And some are bred specifically for an extended bloom season - many of the newer Evison clematis are considered repeat or extended bloomers ("free" blooming is the term they use) and even have a unique pruning recommendation as a result.

In my garden, 'Harlow Carr' takes the cake for an extended bloom period, from May well into October. It has smaller flowers than the LFH's but they are produced in profusion.

And yes, clematis can be attractive to deer, bunnies and other critters.

• juells3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Would someone explain what the different types are/mean?

• bob414
    13 years ago

This page from the FAQ's explains the types and pruning.

• usgirl
    12 years ago

In my UK garden the clematis Wisley blooms prolifically for 3 months.

• sandyl
    12 years ago

I have a Warsaw Nike that I didn't get pruned this spring and it is now going on its 4th week blooming for all it's worth. There are still probably 10 buds that haven't even opened. The blooms really seem to keep their color and last a very long time. I buried one of the long vines coming from the parent plant about two weeks ago hoping the vine will take root, I'll not distrub it and hope for the best. My Ms. Bateman and Asao are done and my Ramona and Sprinkles are in full bloom but the blooms do fade quick on those two, but both are huge plants. Jackmanii and Polish Spirit are starting to set their buds, but will not flower until much later.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Daniel Deronda usually starts for me in May with heavy bloom and then blooms almost continually until October. Juuli starts in June and blooms until October. They might be late this year due to cold dark spring.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Roger that is so beautiful! I planted mine with / nearby my blossomtime climbing rose. The two may end up bringing down the whole fence , but it should look pretty! Lol

how old is yours ?

• roger_frank
    5 years ago

About 5 years. I cut it to the ground every year.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus