Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Rebecca is a Beautiful Red!

organic_kitten
13 years ago

My Rebecca has started blooming near the ground, and I had not looked there since I had seen buds at the top of the trellis and just figured that was where my bloom would be. You can imagine I was surprised when I looked down and saw these blooms today. I love the color!

{{gwi:582937}}

{{gwi:582939}}

kay

Comments (29)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Yep, that is red!

• sandyl
    13 years ago

She is BEAUTIFUL! I think I just might need a red one and she would fit that order for sure.

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

What a bright red color. Very nice!

Julia

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

She is one of my favs

• garystpaul
    13 years ago

It's great to know that it's as red as it is advertised to be. Thanks for posting those pics. I bought one last year and have been growing it in a pot. Can't wait to plant it and maybe see one of those red beauties for real.
    Looks like you're growing it very well. Congratulations. Gary

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I did see multiples in bloom at more than one nursery last year and none were that red. They were all the reddish purple color of Niobe. They were in the Raymond Evison trademark blue pots and tagged as Rebecca showing a tomato red bloom on the tag. Maybe greenhouse light conditions affected the color or maybe it is our cloudy climate here in Oregon.
    I do not know.

• bob414
    13 years ago

Same for me in Northern California BorS. It must be a climate thing since our climates are similar. The reddest clematis in my garden is Gravetye Beauty.

• landperson
    13 years ago

Has anyone seen Rebecca and Gravetye Beauty together to be able to compare their reds under similar growing conditions. I have to admit that after seeing the picture at the top of this thread I ran right off to Emerisa Nursery to see if I could score a Rebecca. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) it was not to be found. I did come home with Belle of Woking and MMe le Coultre, but they are not going to satisfy my longing for a red to plant between Mme Pierre Oger (Bourbon) and Felicia (Hybrid Musk) roses.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have Gravety Beauty, but I have Niobe, and Niobe is a Purplish red...not all all red like this is. The plant looks just like the monitor...Fire Engine red. I mail-ordered it as soon as someone posted that it was supposed to be red.

I am so sorry some of you don't have this gorgeous red, because I love it. I have a Rooguchi planted next to it, about to bloom. It should be neat to see them near each other.
    kay

• landperson
    13 years ago

Thanks kay, and one more question: who did you order yours from?

Susan

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I don't have any true red in my garden at all so I would not buy a Rebecca anyway. I just looked at them at local garden centers because there have been many threads here by people who were looking for true red Clematis.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan, I do not remember. I am sorry, she was one of my early orders. I do remember that several people here on the forum were not too complimentary of this vendor, but I wanted the red one, so I ordered anyway. At the time, there were few people selling Rebecca.
    kay

• gaylek
    13 years ago

That is a beautiful clematis! I too would like a clematis that is that red! Wow!

• landperson
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kay, I will either find one....or not....and all will be well. I will probably wait and see if one of my local clem sources has it next year.

Susan

• burwoodbelle
    13 years ago

I have to agree with Kay it a beautiful bright red.My 2
    year old Rebecca has its first bloom today will try to
    get a pic. tomorrow.I am in middle TN.
    Pat

• burwoodbelle
    13 years ago

My Rebecca is no as pretty as Kays but she will get better
    with age.She wintered over in a pot.
    Pat
    {{gwi:582940}}

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah, but she is lovely!
    kay

• sayhellonow
    13 years ago

Finally, a true red! And she's a beauty. Thanks for sharing the pics.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

OK..how old is that Rebecca clematis? I've had my eye on this variety for some time but just never bought it. I've also been wanting one of the metal pillars and obviously a clematis grows well on it. I saved it to my clippings with a note to myself. Off hand without looking it up, do you know what prunning group Rebecca is in? Do you leave the pillar in place all winter?

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Bluestone sells this Rebecca clematis. It is type 2, blooms May-June and again in August. Vine 6-8 ft. Takes full sun
    $14.95 That is sure a beauty. I want one that blooms all summer and a type 3..maybe I'll keep looking. Niobe is a dark burgundy red. I had that at my former home. It is very close to color of my Westerplatte that I have now.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Gorgeous red. Thanks for sharing your clematis.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

What is the height of that metal obesik that you have Rebecca climbing on or in?

• neptune44
    12 years ago

Rebecca is a Beauty!
    {{gwi:582941}}

{{gwi:582942}}

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah yes Neptune44 a beauty. Pippi Mine is about 2 1/2 years old and on a metal obelisk that is 6 feet tall.
    kay

• Dakini Flora
    8 years ago

beautiful!

• Dakini Flora
    8 years ago

My Rebecca.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Quite a way up the thread, and a few years ago, someone asked about Gravetye Beauty vs. Rebecca. I don't know if soil pH effects the color much, but my soil is acid sandy loam, though the plants are on opposite sides of the yard. I find Rebecca is a bit closer to red, though it still has some blue tones to it. GB is bluer and a couple tones darker. Here's Rebecca:

And here's Gravetye Beauty, though in reality, I think it's a bit more dark red and a bit less purple The camera was trying to deal with the bright yellow grass and the dark flower and foliage, and not doing a great job. It is a really long bloomer for me since it has well-formed seedheads along with buds still forming. I haven't had Rebecca long enough to know how long she will bloom, but I rarely get an early bloom from any type 2's due to our cold winters, so others are probably better judges of Rebecca's bloom potential than I am.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    8 years ago

Gorgeous. I need this clematis!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    8 years ago

Well here's a pic of the Rebecca I have now, not the same shade of red as the one I lost which was identical to Neptune's, I was so disappointed when this one bloomed, the one I have now shows faint bars, the first one I had didn't and was a brighter red like Neptune's. Same soil same light, what the heck :(.