Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planted clematis to high ?

Posted by gigim none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 16:20

I do not know how I missed this (perhaps) important planting fact but I did not plant my new vine with the first "crown" below the soil level. I think I planted it as it was in the pot with the first crown about 6" off the ground. We are starting our 2nd season and I do not think trying to dig up and replant properly would be a good idea. Should I just prune it to above this first crown now? What about as the season progresses? Keep at 12-18 inches to encourage root developement? Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planted clematis to high ?

Rather than digging up the vine now and replanting deeper, you can mound up the soil level to a more appropriate height. You don't say what type of clematis it is but a hard pruning - to the second or third set of buds above ground - is a good idea for at least the first two seasons anyway. Prune now then allow the plant to grow normally for the rest of the season.

o

Thank you gardengal. I did as you suggested and now I have several new shoots coming from every node. I planted this last summer, so now can I prune based on the type ( which I have written down but not here with me now) in the fall ?
I am "brewing" alfalfa tea for my roses. Will my clematis benefit from this as well?

o

Absolutely - clems love alfalfa tea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here