Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniegolden_gw

Virus

anniegolden
12 years ago

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. I have 2 mature plants of Crystal Fountain. I believe both are infected with tomato ringspot virus. The leaves are tracked with yellow markings. Is this familiar to anyone? Should I yank the plants out? One of the plants is particularly bad and the flowers have gone an odd mauvy/peach color. If I remove the plants, do I need to avoid planting any clematis in the same spot? If so, for how long? Thank you. I can post pics if anyone out there has some knowledge and experience in this problem.

Christine

Comments (13)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Please post your images.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Need to see photos. Previous issues thought to be mosaic viruses on clematis turned out to be magnesium deficiencies.

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. Here are a bunch of pics. For what it's worth, last summer tomato plants were grwoing on the other side of the fence.

{{gwi:583069}}
    {{gwi:583071}}
    {{gwi:583072}}
    {{gwi:583075}}
    {{gwi:583076}}
    {{gwi:583077}}
    {{gwi:583078}}

Christine

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    11 years ago

Christine can't say what this is but it doesn't look good. If you can't get any answer here have you thought about sending pictures to either Dan at Brushwood Gardens or Debbie at Silver Star Vinery both are absolutely great people and would try to help. After seeing this post I was out today gardening and their it was a clem looking like yours. Now I admit to panicking, and got rid of it it immediately (poor thing). I have around 40 clematis and fear set in. Hope this turns out to be something else. Pat

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Pat, well, here is what little I know about virus problems. They are most prone to spreading in the spring when the sap is rising in the plants, and possibly this might indicate that it is best to let the diseased plants alone until later in the season. I just don't know. I am having a fear/panic response also, but I think we need to proceed with knowledge. But I don't know where to go to get the knowledge.

If it is a virus, perhaps you may need to disinfect your tools (shovel, etc.) with bleach. I just don't know. You don't want to spread it to other plants. Now, this kind of panicky response might just be overblown, and it could just be a nutritional deficiency in the plants. I doubt that, though. Thanks for your reply.
    Christine

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

That is indeed a virus. Unfortunately, there is no control for it and it can spread to other clematis (insects vector the disease). The only practical alternative is removal. While viruses are NOT common with clematis, they can occur from time to time. Cucumber mosaic virus seems to be the most common and certainly resembles the symptoms your plant displays.

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you gardengal48. Sigh. I will remove these beautiful plants. Do you have any knowledge of what kind of gardening practices might promote virus problems? Do I need to avoiid planting another clematis in the same spot?
    Christine

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I'd not really consider your gardening practices at issue :-) Rather it is more a matter of planting disease-free stock (hard to guarantee by sight) and making sure any insect issues are controlled. Aphids seem to be the primary vector and there is a lot of discussion about aphids on nearby weed plants and their ability to transfer the pathogen. I wouldn't necessarily worry about replanting in the same location - just making sure the aphids or any other clematis-attacking nasties were well controlled!

• ditas
    11 years ago

I just found this thread ~ I wonder if my 3 Clems showing yellowing could be a viral problem.

Last year when the problem happened I took leaf samples & was told it was chlorosis & suggested iron/magnisium liquid treatment which I followed. Ramona bounced back tho not as she was in previous years. Here are pix ~ click on frame for a closer view!

TIA for your thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chlorosis or Virus?

• ditas
    11 years ago

Awww Anniegolden ~ how very sad to lose such a beauty! I've had Clematis for many years tho have just since last year, learning more about then!

Except for the sudden wilt/browning syndrome on a few, they grew & bloomed beautifully for all those past 10 years until last year ~ just when I started learning quite a bit more on how to care for them ~ how odd!

FWIW!

• ditas
    11 years ago

In case my link above won't open pix ~ let me try again.

BTW I started researching on Clematis Viruses & found some pictures to compare ~ the* cucumber-virus* foliage looked different as well as the tomato-virus that what I see on my 3 Clemmies. I hope mine are suffering from iron/magnisium deficiency. Will see how they do after treatments.

Click on pix to enlarge ~ FWIW ~ TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick Clems

• anniegolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am no expert, but in your photos, the yellowing seems to be between the veins, unlike in my photos where it is the veins themselves that turn yellow. Also, my plants do not have any leaves which are entirely yellow. I would say that your plants are not virused.
    Christine

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thanks again Christine, for your reassurance ~ just when (after years) I finally learned about the *sudden-wilt syndrome* problems & remedies on some of my Clems ~ then Chlorosis & viruses are new problems we have to deal with!

I've just learned a few years ago about HVX on a few Hostas, that as well have no cure & have to be destroyed! However Hostas multiply so easily unlike Clems!!!

Last season I dealt with those pesky *Japanese Beetles* on a few rose bushes ~ they didn't go for all bushes, just their favorite ones ... ah the fun of our hobby of dirt-digging!!!