Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janegael

My Baby Plants are Waking Up - When to Transplant?

JaneGael
15 years ago

The little bareroot plants I got last year have been in gallon pots in the ground all winter. They are starting to peek out of the ground. I think all of them made it.

When is a good time to transplant them to their permanent places. It's still chilly off and on here. It will be in the high 70's this weekend, but is raining and 44 right now and it won't stay in the 70's until the end of May.

Should I wait, or move them while the are still semi dormant?

Thanks,

Jane

Comments (6)

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

The sooner the better. Cool, moist conditions when they have little foliage is a perfect time for them to form roots and settle in. Go for it.

• tulipsmiles
    15 years ago

I have a similar question, but my baby plants I bought about 3 weeks ago at a discount store. They are real babies.
    They are about 6" tall, and very thin, but growing, growing growing.

When should I put them in the ground? They currently are sitting in a window sill getting morning sun and seem happy.

My conditions are the same as Janegael in CT. I'm South of Boston.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks.

• mamoo_z5
    15 years ago

Tulipsmiles, usually for tiny plants just bought you need to let them develop some roots before you put them in the ground. There is a very good chance your plants are in a peatmoss mix & roots do not fill the pot. They have hardly any roots right now. They will have a much better start if you put them in a gallon container & let them grow for a good part of the summer & plant them in the ground late summer. On the other hand there is no rule you can't plant in the ground but you will need to take good care of them & don't expect much from them. They will be slow starting out. I have done it both ways. The choice it yours.

• tulipsmiles
    15 years ago

That is exactly what I needed to know -thanks for the info! I will put them in gallon containers and will plant them in the ground later in the season.
    Thanks for your help!

• JaneGael
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tulip I was able to get gallon pots at a garden center for free. They were just sitting on the trash. I used good soil and compost and buried them up to the rim. They all seem to have made it through the winter and where I had one little sprout last year I now have four or five poking up this year.

Good luck with your babies!
    Jane

• tulipsmiles
    15 years ago

Wonderful! Thanks for the info. I will be on the look out for the gallon containers. (I might even have some around here, somewhere...)
    I twill bury them deep and plant when they are bigger. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks Jane.