Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckrieger_gw

Integrifolia planting tip needed

ckrieger
14 years ago

I have purchased 2 Integrifolia Mongolian Bells. When I plant them, do I plant them several inches deeper than they are in the pots? I wasn't sure if they should be treated the same as my other clematis. This is my first Integrifolia.

Thank you,

Carey

Comments (7)

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

I'm in a similar zone and I don't. Integrifolias don't have wilt issues, which is why some are recommended to plant deeper, keeping the dormant buds protected underground. I keep the crown more or less where it is in the pot, erring on the side of a little deeper. This way they come up faster in the spring.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Unlike Michael, I plant all my clematis deeper in the ground than they were in their pots. That includes the heracleifolias and integrifolias. I planted my Mongolian Bells the same way just recently. Growing clematis from seed, I have an abundance of various types of integrifolias up and growing and when they are potted up, I always go deeper and it has never seemed to bother them.

Planting deeper in my estimation is not just for wilting purposes but for allowing more stem development from the crown.

• ckrieger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the help. I have a few weeks yet until I feel it will be safe to plant in the garden but I wanted to know what to do when the day finally arrives.

Carey

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I don't plant them deeper, either. They grow and develop so so quickly, that I didn't feel it was necessary. Plus, I have read that the stems can rot if planted deeply. While I don't know if that is true or not, I wasn't going to take the chance.

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

Miguel, what kind of soil do you have? Have you had any problems planting any of the viorna group deep? The only ones I would not plant deep would be ones from this group, especially the ones originally from sandier soils (glaucophylla, versicolor, et al.). I've had problems with these only when planted too deeply, specifically with the crowns rotting out.

My soil is mostly sand + whatever loam I've added, thus even with great drainage I've had these issues.

Regardless, ckreiger, it looks like some bury them and some don't. Your soil type and season length/zone might affect your decision, but you can't hurt integrifolias either way, I think.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Michael, we have good old NC clay. All the viorna group plants have been planted deeper with no issues. (I have two viornas, two glaucophyllas, two addisoniis, three pitcheris and one ochroleucas) I did have a versicolor, but it has always been a dud and am not sure it if it will return this year or not.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I planted most of my integrifolias deeper in our clay and haven't had a problem.

Daylilies and hostas sure don't like it though....I dug them up and replanted them higher and it made a big difference.

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County