Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I bought a Stolwijk Gold today

Posted by buyorsell888 Zone 8 Portland OR (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 17:29

It's pretty small but in a gallon pot and with multiple stems. No clue where I'll put it but for $16.50 I decided I had to have it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I bought a Stolwijk Gold today

Lucky you!

I saw that one in flower at a nursery and it was very pretty, but unfortunately, it was not for sale. :(

It is on my wishlist! :)

o

Never heard of Stolwijk Gold! Couldn't find it in Clematis on the Web. Do you know where I can find a photo? It's a tangutica, I presume?

This is my first posting of the season -- I guess my clematis mania officially starts now; although I could date it even earlier, maybe ten days ago, when I first discovered my Galore and Alba Luxurians shooting up out of the ground. They, along with Niobe and Henryi, are on the south side of my house and rarin' to go. On the east side, Venosa Violacea and Pink Flamingo are also starting to take off. Woo-hoo!

o

Love the foliage color and contrasting flowers on this clematis! I need to move my plant, as the location is too dry, though doesn't help that it hasn't rained much at all the last two summers!

Terry

o

cohouser, it is an alpina - very early blooming (in full bloom now). The 'gold' refers to the foliage color - very unusual for a clematis to have gold foliage.

If I could find one in a 1G I'd get it but the only ones I've seen locally are 5G and too darned expensive!!

o

Thanks for the photo -- very unusual!

o

BoS, that is beautiful, where did you find it?
Kat

o

I bought it from Dancing Oaks Nursery (retail, Monmouth OR) at the Gardenpolooza on Saturday at Fir Point Farms.

I believe they will be at the Hardy Plant Society Sale on April 17 & 18th at the Portland Expo Center but am not sure.

o

How lovely! I am out of space, I even sold two Clematis on Craigslist, but I definitely would find a room for this one! Congratulations on purchasing it!
I can see that PDN sells it online.

o

Plant Delights wants $22 plus shipping for a 24oz pot which is what? about 4.5 inches?

When I saw it for $16.50 in a gallon I had to buy it.

DH is putting new siding on our shed and it will be painted green and I thought it would be pretty against the green. I have Spirea 'Goldmound' in the front yard against the green siding on the house and it looks really nice. The green is a tad bright, I was so sick of gray siding and skies that I went a bit overboard with the hue but we can change it in a few years....

Previously the only places I had to plant it were against cedar fences and I thought the coloration would look a bit sickly.

If it ever stops raining I'll take a picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here