Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my venosa violacea clematis dead?

Posted by slh1981 06438 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 17:35

Last September or October a neighbor's new dog was in out yard and jumped onto some of my potted perennials and didn't completely sever, but almost completely severed the main stalk of my venosa violacea clematis just inches from where it pokes out of the soil.

At the time I really wants sure what to do, it's a zone three and it's supposed to be hard pruned, but not that low and not in the fall like that. Anyway, I probably should have posted this then, but instead, I pruned it. Unfortunately, all of my perennials are starting to return and my clematis is just a little brown stick sticking up from it’s pot. Is it dead? Should I have not pruned it? Or is there anything else I could have done?

Oh, also, this will be (or would have been) it's fifth year, and it's always lived in a pot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my venosa violacea clematis dead?

it is probably not dead. Hard pruning usually helps them, not hurts them. Though they can rot out in pots as the years go by the drainage isn't as good as the soil breaks down.....

o
RE: Is my venosa violacea clematis dead?

I thought my Nellie Moser was dead because she was damaged so badly;
She's back this year.
Years ago I thought a multiple had perished, but it came back.
I notice that when the junction between the root & the plant is injured it takes longer for them to come back, but they usually do! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here