Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self seeding?

Posted by crazymommy 7b NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 18:42

Hey....
I have a clematis that is about 10yo, but a slow grower because it grows on dead wood and doesn't seem to add much height in a season. I noticed today that in the area where it is planted, there are three tiny saplings that have similar leaves...and I have never seen them planted there before. I was just wondering of it had self seeded or if it sends out runners. If so, will they grow like the original plant or should they be pulled?

Here's a photo because she bloomed today. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self seeding?

Can you show us the babies and their situation?

o

Can you show us the babies and their situation?

o

Wow! That's the second clematis I've seen today on this forum with that coloring. Do you know its name?

o

My mil bought this for me almost ten years ago when I knew even less about plants. She bought it from a nursery down the road and I doubt they would have the same varieties now as they did then. It isn't a very good place and they really aren't very helpful there.

This particular plant is planted by my mailbox with Black-eyed Susans. The one side is bare because I'm hoping the rudbeckia will spread that way, but they keep overcrowding in the front. Last year I planted annuals there and will again this year. I just haven't done it yet. I can move the pot. It's just hanging out for filler.

Here are the little plants and there's actually a fourth on the other side. To the right of this pic is the mailbox post.

o

Here's a far away photo to see the area. The seedlings or whatever they might be are in the shaded spot.

o

The one by the longer piece of wood looks like a clematis seedling to me. Other might be can't tell if it is a clematis or tree seedling. I have some varieties that self seed. Let them grow or pot them up and grow on. They may or may not be identical to the parent as hybrids may not come true to parent. Sometimes the difference is not easily recognized by just looking. It is interesting to me to see . If you like the new plants blossoms keep it, if not discard or give to someone who does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here