Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tangling problem

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 19:22

I have 5 clematis, and I always cut them back in February. When they start growing, the leaves latch onto each other and they end up a twisted mess, even though each one has a trellis to grow onto.

When I see pictures on the forum of others' clematis, theirs don't look like a twisted up mess. What's the secret?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tangling problem

Deanna
We posted at the same time. I have a mess also. See my post titled I gotta Mess, Sandy

o
RE: Tangling problem

No secret, the untangled ones you see are probably just not growing as lush as yours are. When they are growing well they grab on to anything they can and that may not be what you want them to grab.

o
They ARE tangled

I go out almost daily and encourage them to climb where I want them too. Trust me, these are tangled and I don't care, they are lush and beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here