Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Idea? This One Is a Chalk Hill Survivor

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 19:24

It has decided to bloom, and it is pretty. It is actually doing quite well in the shade of a New Dawn, and has grown up into the rose bush:

I can't get closer...New Dawn would eat me for breakfast with those thorns!

kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Idea? This One Is a Chalk Hill Survivor

Is there supposed to be a picture? :)

I only had one plant survive out of my Chalk Hill order. I call it my $88 dollar Clematis.

o

Now wasn't that a dumb thing to do. This is my survivor too:
Photobucket

kay

o

Do you have a list of what you bought? There are quite a few dark purple viticellas

o

Thanks you for looking buyorsell. I didn't get anything I ordered and 2 of 12 survived. I am afraid I wiped the entire thing, and actually had no clue what this little baby looked like when I planted it. If I come across that likt, I will check it against Clematis on the Web to see what it is...it is the darkest purple that has bloomed for me so far.
kay

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9 Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:29

Could be Etoile Violette but there are many possibilities.

o

It looks quite a lot like my Romantika, especially the way it looks from the back with the slight curling back of the sepals.

o

Thanks maggiepie, I have Romantika, and it is much darker than this one.

I have decided that I was about as much to blame as Chalk Hill since I didn't get anything I had ordered, and I am sure I should have taken better care of what I did get.

I actually have two surviving dark purple clematis from Chalk Hill (of the 12) and they are pretty. Since I did see the name of them, I will eventually (maybe) remember what they are. I gave two away...One died, and the other one is flourishing so that makes 3 of the 12 alive. not so bad.
kay

o

I agree that it looks a lot like Etoile Violette.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here