Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Already!

Posted by frank1965 z8 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 20:17

I planted Ville de Lyon last year from Silver Star so it was a pretty big plant already. This year it is already about 2 1/2ft tall and I pinched the tip out so it would branch. But now there are buds forming! Is this all the flowers that I'll get this year? Surely it will bloom again later in the year when the vine is bigger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Already!

Did you hard prune her?..She is a pruning group 3 and will bloom on the new vines grown this season..did you fertilizer her?..these are all very important to her performance...each year you should see new vines emerge from the soil ..and hard pruning accomplishes this...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Ville de Lyon

o

Thanks jeanne- yes I pruned it back this winter- what I would like to know is why its flowering at such a short height? And will this be it for the year. I did fertilize too. It just looks odd to have buds on such a short plant- hardly much of a plant as of yet. Frank

o

It's not unusual whatsoever to see early blooms appear at the bottom before the vines get tall..(it's just happy to show you her stuff !) & no that won't be "it" for this year..you have more to come..just water and wait..I see we are in similar zones..so just hang in there and later on ask me about hard pruning 3's once again after their full "Flush" of blooms are over...being in warmer zones we can get 2-3 bloom periods from our threes...Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne & Frank,

I'd love advice on when to prune in z8. I'm in 8b Alexandria, LA, & I'm brand new to clematis. For pruning group 3 what's the earliest I can prune? Do I wait so long after the last bloom or for a certain low average temp or until it's a certain month? Any advice much appreciated!

o

Hi River...I prune my clematis the same time I do my roses usually around Valentine's day ( or wait till you see the first leafbuds begin..then you can see how far down to prune..right above the 1st or 2nd leaf bud from the soil) ..for other zones they can calibrate their time to prune when the Forsythias are in bloom....Jeanne

o

Thanks, Jeanne. Valentine's an easy date to remember!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here