Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_24

Attaching to trellis

elizabeth_24
13 years ago

Hello all,

I've just purchased my first clematis, a capitaine thuilleaux. I'm putting it on a north facing wall of my home so hopefully it'll survive the shade! I just had a couple of quick questions - we have quite a bit of clay in our soil so I was planning on adding some manure and peat moss when I plant the clematis. Do you think this is a good idea? Also, would you go for a fan shaped trellis or a rectangular shaped trellis? I'm not sure how "wide" the clematis will grow. Personally I like the look of the rectangular one better but if the clematis is going to grow straight up rather than spread out and I end up with a bunch of bare spots on the trellis I'll go with a fan one instead. And how do you attach the vines to the trellis? Just plain old twist ties or is there something better to use? I've bought a larger clematis so I will need to anchor it to the trellis right away.

Thank you in advance for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Generally, most clematis do not need to be "anchored" to a trellis -- they will attach themselves naturally via twining leaf petioles. All I have ever needed to do was to unstake the plant after planting and gently guide the stems towards the support -- the plant did the rest :-)

Attaching stems can be tricky. With young or new plants, the stems are very tender/brittle and can break or become damaged very easily. If you feel you do need to attach, I'd use that stretchy garden tape that is some type of plastic material rather than the more crunchy twist ties -- less chance of damage.

Amending a clematis planting hole is generally well advised, contrary to what is common for most other plants. But you do need to be careful when doing so in heavy or clay soils, as you want to have very good drainage. Often, amending an individual planting hole in a clay soil will result in a 'bucket" effect, in that the enriched hole retains too much moisture and doesn't drain well. Amending a very large hole can help with this but the best result will come from amending the entire planting bed or area rather than just the planting hole. If this is not possible, creating a mound or berm or planting partially above grade will work, still keeping the base of the vine and the roots at the correct depth.

• elizabeth_24
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Gardengal. I assumed I had to attach it to the trellis in some manner so it's good to know that I don't! I've also read that it can help if you plant the clematis at a slight angle toward the trellis; it will encourage it to grow around the trellis.

Do you know how wide it will get? I'm still trying to decide between a fan shaped trellis or a rectangular one.

I dug up the flower bed this weekend and realized that in addition to it being quite clay-like there's also a ton of small rocks mixed in. Awesome. However, and I should have made this more clear in my first post, I will be amending all of the soil with a combination of peat moss, compost and garden soil. I just thought I might add a little extra to the hole that I dig for the clematis.

• sayhellonow
    13 years ago

I have used string a few times on a trellises and fences, and it does help the clematis. The vines cover up the strings in a hurry.

• brit5467
    13 years ago

Re: attaching it...if you have Dollar General stores in your area, in their garden area I saw this rubber-coated wire hanging on a little card.

At first, it looked like the fat cloth-covered rubber bands for hair (for ponytails), ya know? They come on cards like this.

But this is one long continuous piece coated with light green soft rubber (instead of cloth) and I'm guessing you cut it to length. Was only a $1, I think.

I meant to pick some up just to have but forgot....LOL