Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container sunk in ground

Posted by loulu Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 20:30

I want to plant Snow on the Mountain/Bishop weed along the edge of my driveway on one side and fence on other side. The space is approx. 3 ft wide and 20 ft. long I know Snow on Mt. is invasive. I wonder if I could sink large flower pots and replant my Clematis that grows on the fence now. I'm thinking this will keep Snow on Mt. from crowding out my Clematis. I have started having back problems and can't keep up with my flower beds. I would take out bottoms of the flower pots before sinking them. Is this a bad/silly idea?? Thanks for any info. I am in Michigan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container sunk in ground

I would not plant bishop's weed anywhere personally. I have found it to be horribly invasive. I do not think the pots would keep it out of the clematis for long. It does spread by seed too.

o

Bishop's weed is terribly invasive, and if that isn't bad enough, it doesn't come in fast enough in spring to keep weed seeds from germinating. there would be some maintenance. It also dies off in patches, (I have no clue why) so that could be a problem. Plus if you have neighbors on the other side of the fence, your neighbors will too have bishop's weed whether they want it or not.

Like it or not, the easiest ground cover to take care of is lawn grass.

o

Like it or not, the easiest ground cover to take care of is lawn grass.

Not sure I'd agree with that statement :-) There are LOTS of different groundcovers or ground-hugging plants that offer low maintenance as well as weed suppression and that are far less trouble than turf grasses. And you certainly do not want grass growing up into the base of any clems - it is overly competitive with regards to soil moisture and nutrients, not to mention a PITA when growing into planting beds. I'd look into plants like aubretia, creeping phlox, cerastium, hardy geraniums. etc. Anything low and spreading will help to suppress weeds and conserve soil moisture. And there is always mulch to fill in areas where no plants are.

o

LOL - only one post so far. After I posted, I went outside to work in the garden when it dawned on me that I should have never said anything positive about turf grass in front of a bunch of gardeners. lol

The reason I think grass is the best is because the OP is having back trouble. A lawn can be kept looking good without the need to get on your hands and knees. Plus, lawn grass is shallow rooted. If she keeps the pot a few inches above the soil, she won't have to worry about roots getting into the pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here