Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too cool roots?

Posted by jujustad Z8 western WA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:39

I purchased two clematis Carmencita to climb up either side of the front entrance of my house and I ran trellis across the underside of the rafter ends so they could crawl across and, hopefully, meet (my house is only 13' wide). I got them mail order from Joy Creek nursery so they arrived cut back to a couple buds. One will need to be planted under the deck and come up through an opening I've made in the decking. Do you think it will work if I keep one in a pot until it gets some height on it and then plant it in the extreme shade under the deck? Should I put that one in a larger pot and plan on waiting until next year to plant it? I am new to this and don't know how fast I could expect these to grow a couple feet so there would be leaves in the light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too cool roots?

You don't need to worry about their roots being in shade if you've gone to the trouble of cutting a hole in your deck for that, I'm sorry it wasn't necessary.

They are vigorous type III Clems so they could grow six or more feet this year. I had some reach eight or nine feet their first year from gallon size pots.

They should be planted deeper in the ground than they are in the pot.

You will need to use supports to guide them where you want them to go.

They are Type IIIs that should be cut back to a couple of buds every year. If one is planted under your deck that could be difficult though you don't have to cut them back that far if you don't care about the flowers being at a lower level, they will send up new vines from the crown as they should which you'll have to guide.

o

Thanks buyorsell888 :)
Do you really mean that I can plant a Carmencita that is 3" tall in the dark under my deck and it will still grow!!?
Also, a question that I forgot to ask...is there a problem with planting them within a foot of my house foundation?
Julie

o

No, I don't mean that you can plant it in the dark under your deck and it will still grow. I meant that you don't need to plant it under your deck to keep the roots cool.

o

gotcha...I made the hole in the deck for practical and aesthetic reasons, thinking that the shade would be a good environment for the clematis roots. I will put it into a slighty larger pot and wait until it puts on some height before planting.
Thank you for your advice
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here