Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to keep new trellis upright?

Posted by Etrsi_645 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 20:49

I have planted my Nelly Moser and the trellis I have won't stay upright yet. It is wooden, only about 3 inches goes into ground, and that ground is all hand tilled and amended so the trellis is loose in the ground.

Any ideas as to how you have handled this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to keep new trellis upright?

Buy a couple of pieces of rebar from Home Depot or Lowes. Hammer one piece of rebar next to each leg of the trellis. Use wire to wrap around the wooden leg and the rebar to secure it.
I use rebar that is cut to 2 feet in length.

o

Drive two pieces of rebar into the ground and use twist ties to attach the trellis to the rebar with twist ties, twine, etc.

Depending on how sturdy the trellis wood is, you could also drive a wooden stake into the ground and nail or screw the trellis base to it.

Just some thoughts. Best Wishes--Carl

o

I use longer rebar than Carol, usually about 2/3 of the trellis height so that I can put a foot or a bit more into the ground and then have at least 1/2 of the trellis height supported by the rebar. Zip ties work as well as wire, but either one you will want to check annually that it hasn't broken down due to exposure to weather. How deep you want to put the rebar will depend on how much wind you have and your soil type, putting it deeper for looser soil or more wind.

o

thanks you all... I will give rebar a try..

One just leaves the trellis permanently attached to the rebar for the life of the trellis or is this a temporary rebar staking?

o

Permanent. A trellis full of leaves and vines makes a pretty good sail, so it needs a permanent anchor or two. Since my trellises are dark in color and covered with vines during the growing season, the rebar really doesn't show. The big box stores sell rebar coated in green plastic in the garden center if you would prefer that over regular rust-colored rebar, or I suppose that you could paint it with Rustoleum and then a color of your choice, though that wouldn't last forever.

o

thanks again, I'm going out to buy some today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here