Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetpea_path

PLANTS for clematis to grow on, over & through?

sweetpea_path
15 years ago

I'm putting in a new garden this year -- from scratch -- gulp. Since I'm mad for clematis, I'm trying to plan for all sorts of different locations to plant them.

Years ago, I saw how the English used them in their gardens, which was to grow them ON all sorts of different shrubs, dead tree trunks, etc. But that was so long ago I can't remember now what any of the shrubs were. Since I've basically got a blank slate here, I thought it might be **wise** to think ahead and get those shrubs in for the sole purpose of growing clems on them. Suggestions please!

Many thanks in advance.

Sweetpea

Comments (36)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

The list would be limitless as far as what types of shrubs, trees, and low growing evergreens that you could train clematis to grow through. I have them growing on Blue Pacific junipers, up a styrax tree, up a japanese maple tree, up a red bud tree...you are limited only by your imagination. I am sure others who grow clematis in this manner will chime in with their suggestions.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

I'll chime in only to repeat exactly what Miguel has said :-) Your choices are only limited by the type of clematis and on its expected size - it works best if the tree/shrub will easily support the vine without becoming overwhelmed by it. I have clematis growing up/through a smokebush, an apple tree, a lilac, a weigela, a clerodendron (Harlequin glorybower), several viburnum, assorted roses and a couple of dwarfish conifers. And a witch hazel :-) And then there are several integrifolia/heracleifolia types that are allowed to ramble at will through assorted perennial plantings.

I especially like to use them on flowering deciduous shrubs, most of which tend to bloom early season. This extends the visual interest of the shrub much longer into the season (when it would typically be a green lump) and because they are deciduous, it makes it very easy to prune the clematis in late winter as necessary.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

May I request photos of Clems growing through shrubs/trees? Most photos are close ups of the flowers and I'd like to see how the vines get into the shrubs and trees. I'm not having a lot of luck growing Clems into shrubs and trees. They want to trail on the ground rather than up into the host plant. I'm totally out of hardscape and places to put them other than trees and shrubs.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Don't have any pictures except closeups showing the flowers in the trees. I know I have posted the same photos here in the past so am not going to take the time hunting for them in my huge archive of photos on photobucket. You can if you want to but like I said most are of the flowers in the trees. I know of several others who have posted pictures of the same thing in the past. The vines simply twine themselves up the trunks of the trees or grab onto lower branches. Once the trees get large enough, some sort of support will be needed when the trunks get to large to twine around or for them to reach the lower branches of the trees. A simple solution would be to put a cane or garden stake near the clematis and allow the vines to climb that to reach the lower branches of the tree. Another option for a tree with a huge trunk would be to put some sort of netting around the trunk to allow the clematis to grab onto so it could reach up the trunk and potentially to the branches.

My Alionushka sort of snakes its vines up the trunk of the red japanese maple until it reaches branches and then starts crawling amongst them. For me, I have even had Alionushka, which is supposed to be a nontwining clematis, wrap its petioles around the smaller stems and affix itself to the branches.

The process is even easier for bushes since the grasping nature of the vines allows them to catch hold of any low branch on a bush and grow towards the light.

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

I would avoid magnolias and shrubs that sucker like oakleaf hydrangeas. They form thick root masses that eventually make their way to the clematis roots and out compete them. I still have some in these situations, but they don't perform as well.

I second or third the suggestion for spring-blooming shrubs. Peonies, viburnums and rhodo/azaleas are great, as are any conifer. Let's not forget roses as well.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

A follow up questions:

Michael, do only oakleaf Hydrangeas have this type of root system? Is it OK to plant Clematis next to macrophylla or arborescens?

Also, did you mean tree Peonies? If you meant herbaceous Peonies, how do you grow Clematis over them?

Thanks!

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Alina. That's a good question. My Hydrangea quercifolia sends out tons of suckers, but none of my others do (macrophylla, arborescens, etc.), so I think you're safe there. In fact I have a number of clematis planted to weave into different H. paniculata cultivars and have had no problems (or suckers).

Peonies - I have both types with clematis. With herbaceous peonies, I use clematis that you cut to the ground each year. I plant the clematis 12+" from the peony stems and just guide it into the plant (further away would be better). The peony comes up before the clematis does, so this isn't hard.

Then I can wind it around the peony as it grows, or let it wander where it wants (much easier). The clematis bloom after the peony is deadheaded. It's even better with 2 or 3 clematis, for a nice contrast or longer bloom period. I just like it because the peony makes such a beautiful form as a background for the clematis flowers, and you don't see much of the clem stems.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Thanks for great ideas Michael! I have many Hydrangeas and Peonies (of all types) in my garden and tons of ordered Clematis coming. I've never thought of Peonies as of possible Clematis support.
    Do you have any pictures of these combinations?

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Strangely, I don't. I've been pretty bad about taking pictures recently. I figure everyone's seen it all by now, which is silly. None of my clematis bloom at the same time as the peonies, except the flowers are still on Hydrangea 'Pink Diamond' when I sometimes get a second flush of Hagley Hybrid. It's actually quite pretty, and not a single picture.

Share some with us this season!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Please take pictures this summer! That should look beautiful!
    So you have a successful experience of growing Clematis on H. paniculata... Good to know. I have one H. paniculata - 'Quick Fire'. Will definitely plant some Clematis next to it.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

That's Gypsy Queen on the right. I think.

Vuburnums make good support trees for clematis because they bloom in April while the clem is about a foot tall. They are also very sturdy and seem to handle the weight quite easily. And the foliage blends right in.

{{gwi:227058}}

• sweetpea_path
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU so much everybody, for the inspiring ideas!

I've added some additional shrubs to my list now -- especially viburnums (who knew?!) -- and I'm very exciting to watch this garden take shape with more "homes" for clematis.

I'm also intrigued by the idea of using peonies as supports for the clems that are cut to the ground each year...

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Hi Sweepea, another PNW gardener who has the clematis bug, how nice! Clematis grow so well in our climate. If you use different varieties from the different pruning groups you can have clematis blooming from March until frost. I grow clematis through a lot of shrubs and trees also. Ones that have worked well for me our dogwoods, vine maples, viburnums, plums, arborvitae, spruce, doug firs, japanese maples, junipers, and other vines like honeysuckle and jasmine. The only 2 that didn't do well for me were eldeberry and Katsura. The eldeberry branches were so brittle that the shrub would break under the weight of the vine. The Kasura canopy was so dense that the flowers wouldn't show. So you might keep that in mind also. Good luck with your garden. Here's a montana in a plum tree. Karen

{{gwi:584276}}

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I'm trying to get 'Inspiration' into a 'Miss Kim' lilac. I planted it behind the lilac so it would grow through to the sun but it wants to creep along the ground instead. I left it longer when I pruned it back rather than to the ground but that hasn't helped.

I planted 'Gazelle' between two 'Crimson Pygmy' barberries. It is too young to have done much but I hope it will sprawl over them. I have 'Juuli' sprawling over one too and it requires me to carefully train it or it flops to the ground.

I tried 'Durandii' between two roses but it also flopped to the ground instead. I think it would do better on an obelisk since it likes to grow straight up and bloom at the ends.

I have two tanguticas trained up copper pipes to get into deciduous trees but I didn't choose very well. 'Grace' has such tiny blooms you can't see them and 'Bill MacKenzie' likely isn't BMK and is growing more wide than tall.

I planted 'no id' viticella and viticella 'alba luxurians' next to my boxwood hedge last year. Too soon to see if they will grab on and grow up it. I hope so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juuli on Barberry

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    15 years ago

My favorite combo in my old garden was a purple Cotinus with Huldine growing up it.

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Ooh, that sounds pretty with the burgundy leaves! So glad I checked in here, I just got my first clemmies last summer (after they bloomed) and yesterday I got my first blooms on Guernsey Cream!

It was overwintered on our unheated, sunny front porch, lightly watered (almost bone dry, he he) and the blooms are palest green!! I love it, lots of swollen buds. I put it outside last night, hope it makes it, I thought it was supposed to be "late". I do have a purple smokebush...maybe it's new home? The smokebush (no leaves yet this year)is pretty small, and I plan to keep it short. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Niobe was planted in the garden. It's much smaller, not much more than a stem now, will it bloom this year (when)? Thinking maybe I should pop it back into a pot so it has a better chance of getting established, and I can see it's true color.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Has anyone planted clematis to cover yews? I have been slowly removing the yews in my garden as they get brown from winter kill.

• sweetpea_path
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am LOVING all the photos - GREAT to have a visual - so thanks a lot for posting them! and oooohh, clematis on a cotinus, hadn't thought of that. I've actually got a 2-gallon cotinus 'Grace' that's ready to go in the ground (when the spot is prepared). How to choose WHICH clem to grow on her????? The choices are overwhelming, but I guess it doesn't matter, just pick one, right?! Not a montana tho, a more "tame" variety... I just looked up 'Huldine' and that looks like a very good choice.

I've got an ornamental purple-leaved grape planted at the base of a pergola. I thought it might be fun to plant a tangutica 'Golden Tiara' with it -- what do you all think?

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Hi sweet pea, most of the type 3's get 12-15 feet tall or larger out here in the PNW. I think Huldine and Golden tiara would get too large for those 2. Most purple leaved grapes stay fairly small maybe 6'. Most tangutica get big and would overwhelm the vine. My Huldine easily climbs a 20 cedar hedge, so it would overwhelm your smokebush. You might want something smaller like Piilu for you smokebush, and maybe Aljonushka or something similar for your purple grape vine. Here's Huldine climbing a hedge. Karen

{{gwi:584278}}

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Does she grip and climb the conifer all by herself? Love the idea of covering the neighbor's that line our property with Clemmies...

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Yes Buyorsell888, she climbs it all by herself.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Karen, could you please post a picture of your Huldine from a distance (not close up)? I also like the idea of Clematis climbing conifers.
    Thanks!

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Hi Alina, here are a couple of photos of Huldine climbing the hedge. They are not the greatest shots. Karen

{{gwi:584280}}

{{gwi:584282}}

{{gwi:584284}}

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen, that looks good! I guess my Arborvitae will work as a Clematis support as well :)
    Thanks everyone for wonderful ideas and great pictures!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Karen, one more question: how far from the Arborvitae's trunk is Clematis planted?

• sweetpea_path
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW, Karen, great photos of your hedge climber! Really helps to give a good idea of what that clem is capable of -- THANKS for posting.

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Hi Alina, it is planted 6-12 inches from the tree. It will need exta water as the shrubs roots will compete with the clematis roots.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen,
    That is even closer that I wanted to plant them! Nice to know. I think that they will establish nicely eventually because Arborvitae have shallow roots.

• Suzapruner
    11 years ago

Hi - My C. tangutica climbs up out of a very large trough onto my deck railing and also the nearby blue spruce. The effect is lovely. The vine is vigorous yet not overpowering as the leaves and flowers are so dainty and delicate. Also plan on having a yellow climbing rose on other side of spruce.

• Hazel Thoren
    7 years ago

Is there any problem with growing the evergreen clematis armandii up through a large mature deciduous tree?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Other than the weight that might impact some smaller branching, no. My Clematis armandii in my old garden grew up into the upper branches of an apple tree with no ill-effect. And in my current 'borrowed' garden there is an armandii growing up high into the top of very large chestnut. The only time it is really visible up there is now in the dead of winter :-)

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

So I can grow a clematis in a oak tree?

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

I am going to try to grow a clematis on a wisteria tree esp since it has not bloomed ever yet and may be years before it does.

• threedogsmom
    7 years ago

I have a clematis growing up through a butterfly bush and one growing up a birch tree. For both, I just planted the clematis very close to the base of the bush/tree and mulched well, and as the tendrils would grow, I guided them up to "hang on" to various small branches. Neither clematis is very tall but they do dress up the butterfly bush in spring and early summer before it gets going, and the one on the birch is a great compliment to the other perennials around it.

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago
    I read that you should aim for planting a vine 1-3 ft away from the host plant so that there is less competition with host plant roots. My Wisteria is in a pot so I actually planted the clematis outside the pot.
Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm