Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perrynewbegining

Clematis not too invasive to dress up around outside of garden

perrynewbegining
11 years ago

We discovered the beautiful flower this year when walking through a store and thought it would be nice to dress up our garden. However, they are very expensive to buy already grown in the containers we wanted to buy them as a seed and start our own.

We have four posts that we would like to dress up, don't want it to get too out of control. Larger than 2ft but not 24ft. We really liked the morning glory and planted it last year next to our green beans and corn and wow. Talk about Jack and the bean stalk! LOL! It was very invasive wrapped itself around the beans and the corn and everything else it could get hold of.

Any recommendations where we can find seeds and what type we should buy for what we are looking for?

Thank you,

perrynewbegining

Comments (6)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    11 years ago

Hi! I could be wrong, and I know someone will chime in here, but I am not sure that clematis come true from seed? So maybe you could try to get seeds and just be happy with whatever kind of flower the seed crossed. I have only ever seen a yellow clematis seed personally!
    How high are these posts? Sweet pea could work for you, or a short morning glory . Or black eyed Susan vine , you could cut back when it gets too tall.
    Or keep your eyes on the clearance section of nurseries or lowes. Lowes will mark things down like crazy! And at the end of summer most nurseries have Clearance sales . Good luck to you! :)

• perrynewbegining
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for your response. I will keep your ideas in mind. However, I have a difficult time as it is keeping my boyfriend out of the clearance racks at lowes and any other store when it comes to plants. :) We both love gardening, we even plant stuff neither one of us like to eat and just give it away.

BTW, sorry I forgot to put that the corner posts in the garden are about 5ft. and can be extended to about 8-10ft. if need be. But we really don't want to go with the morning glories after our experience with them being so invasive last year. Unless the "short morning glory" is different?

Thanks again. :)

Rhonda

• bob414
    11 years ago

I've never had the patience to grow clematis from seed. I don't recall seeing seed for sale but if you know someone who grows them they would probably be glad to share some. You can read about it at Clematis From Seed, Brian Collingwood's site.
    Few clematis are invasive. You may want to start with a couple of plants this year and add a couple next year.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

It sounds like you are pretty new to gardening overall. If this is true, I would not recommend growing clematis from seed - the seed is hard to find commercially; it is unlikely you will find any seed that will come true to form (the vast majortiy of clems grown are hybrids) and it is not a fast process to develop a vine of any significance from seed. Bob's idea is good - find one or two started plants at your local nursery and go from there.

Or select another type of vine. You may be mistaking what is considered to be an "invasive" plant also - most vines (especially annual vines) grow fast and vigorously and since they do grow by wrapping themselves around whatever they can reach, they can appear to overwhelm or even strangle other plants. But that is not what is meant by 'invasive'. You just have to pick the right vine for the right situation.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

You can usually find nice sized Clematis for ten bucks at Big Box stores....Piilu is an easy to grow shorter one that is a great bloomer. I've seen it at both Lowe's and Home Depot.

• perrynewbegining
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your response. Will take any suggestions of a climber or vine that will add some color to the cornners of our garden.