Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Blue Clematis

redsox_gw
14 years ago

I know this has probably been posted before but I could not find an old thread. Are there any true blue clematis? I know a lot of purple plants are called blue, such as cranesbill Rozanne, but I am looking for a real blue.

I saw a picture of Ice Blue and in one spot it looked really blue but in another, really whitish. Some describe Betty Corning as blue but it can look pink-blue or lavender-blue.

I can only grow 2s and 3s.

Thanks.

Comments (28)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I've never seen a true blue Clematis. They are all like Rozanne and Johnnson's Blue cranesbills, purple or lavender.

I have Betty Corning and she ain't true blue.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

The pics on COTW of Clematis "Rhapsody" doesn't do it justice for it looks true blue to me in my gardens...Jeanne

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne, all of the pics I have seen on other sites look very purple, but if yours is blue maybe it varies by planting location?

I was the one who asked you if H F Young was blue....

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

Deb, I'm going by what Harryshoe said in a post-- that Rhapsody was the bluest blue clem available. So I ordered one--but mine hasn't bloomed yet, so I can't verify that. Like you, I'm very skeptical when plants are described as blue--they usually look lavender or purple to me.

Kate

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of mine so you can decide...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

I might have said Rhapsody is the bluest I've ever seen, but I haven't enough experience to even contemplate what may be available. My Rhapsody definitely shows some blue tones. However, its mostly purple. What type is Rhapsody?

{{gwi:227060}}

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne, that looks purple on my monitor but I know every monitor is different.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

They both look purple to me, Harry's has some true light blue tones to it though to me.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

Oh well, harry, that pic is lovely and I don't regret being enabled by you into buying it for my garden. Can't wait to see it bloom.

Kate

• bonitamariposa
    14 years ago

Durandii looks blue to me but of course this pic was taken with my iPhone and not my regular camera.

{{gwi:584401}}

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That looks very bluish on my monitor.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

My Durandi is definitely not that bright blue; however, it is true the Durandi is bluish, just not a pure blue. It is also a scrambler rather than a climber.

Kate

• linrose
    13 years ago

I used to think HF Young was blue, because it was the first couple of years, but this year it has decided to go purple on me. Weird.

Cezanne is almost blue, maybe lavender I don't know. It is beautiful though.

Cezanne
    {{gwi:570541}}

HF Young a couple of years ago
    {{gwi:209396}}

And now
    {{gwi:584403}}
    {{gwi:584404}}

Different shade of blue-purple as they age, darker at first then paling to blue. Still nice though. Light plays an important role in the perception of color.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

My Durandii is not that blue. However, I love all the blueish purples and lavenders even if they aren't true blue.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

linrose, I had the same experience with HF Young. It appeared much bluer the first year I got it and planted it. After that, it took on more lavender shades, much like your 3rd picture of it.

Do you suppose it is kind of like those hydrangeas that need more or less acidity in order to attain a bluer coloring? Too bad there isn't something we could quickly add to get back the initial bluer shade of HF Young.

Kate

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

My Durandii is still in a pot, does that make a difference? Just curious...

• flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

I used to grow Sho-un at our other place. I always considered it to be blue.

• linrose
    13 years ago

Blue Light definitely looks blue in the first photo. But closer up I see the purple shadings. Neat looking clematis though.

• dixie3379
    13 years ago

I just bought a Crater Lake clematis from Sprig Hill that claims it to be blue. We'll see!

• alina_1
    13 years ago

I would not trust any claims Spring Hill makes. One of the worst vendors around (along with affiliated with it Breck's and Michigan Bulbs). Their pictures are badly doctored; their descriptions are far from real.

• garystpaul
    13 years ago

How about Will Goodwin? In a lot of web pics it looks pretty lavender, but in my garden it's very close to powder blue (a bit like a plumbago). I also grow H.F. Young and Rhapsody and agree they're pretty close to a dark blue, but not without purplish undertones. Gary

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah, I had forgotten that I once wanted Will Goodwin so I will check it out.

I took an old Clem book out of the library by Barry Fretwell (sp?) which said there are no true blue clems, all have some degree of lavender or mauve. But it said HF Young was the closest blue.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I have Blue Light but it hasn't bloomed yet. Certainly looks blue in those photos but photos and monitors are both deceiving. :)

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

Rhapsody is bluer than any others in my garden. My other "blues" are either lavender or purple by comparison.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

My Will Goodwin looked very pale blue the first year it bloomed but the next year and since the blooms look pale lavender.

• talynnp
    13 years ago

What about Rooguchi? Mine was planted new last year, got it from Silver Star Vinery. The bud is very dark blue, almost navy. Can't wait til it opens up!

Tanya

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have Rooguchi from Silver Star too. It is a fantastic plant, just amazing. But, it is very purple. No blue at all.