Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which company should I order from? and other q.

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 21:34

Not much variety locally. Also, will it thrive in this location: zone 6, south side of house almost full sun, against ugly wire fence. I might need to buy 2 to cover the fence better.

I cannot spend a small fortune so are there any less expensive ones that perform really well? I would like 2 complimenting colors and sizes - such as a light bigger pink with a smaller flower darker pink.
thanks!
Natanya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which company should I order from? and other q.

Silver Star Vinery is highly recommended here and sends bigger plants than many.

Type IIIs are easiest to prune and cover large areas faster.

How do you feel about purple? Pinks tend to fade in hot sun. 'Polish Spirit' or 'Etoile Violette' are dark purple and 'Betty Corning' or 'Prince Charles' are lavender.

'Venosa Violacea' is purple and white and 'Huldine' is white.

'Rouge Cardinal' is red purple and 'Comtesse de Bouchard' is pink.

o

I ordered from Brushwood as they had very good reviews. I'm glad I didn't see Silver Star because it would have taken me forever to choose - so many! But good to know for the future. I ordered HF Young, Comtesse de Bouchaud, and Blue Angel. I hope they do well for me.

o

Brushwood is just fine. If your plants are in 4" pots when they arrive you should pot them into gallon pots and let them grow up before planting into the garden.

I've never ordered from Brushwood, not sure what size Clems they send....

o

Brushwood's clematis are a year younger than Silver Star.

o

Silver Star Vinery is THE best. Worth every penny for quality, size and service. I got my first clems from there. Dabbled elsewhere(ebay, etc.)trying to save money and returned to ordering from Silver Star this year. Live & learn. You get what you pay for.

Brushwood doesn't currently ship here, so I can't vouch for them though I have to say, based on feedback elsewhere, I'd order from them if I could.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here