Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis and frost advice

Posted by pattyw5 Z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 21:55

Like it or not my clematis came up. Most are about six inches to a foot tall and leafed out. I know the perennials will be fine. Unfortunatly any frost will toast the new rose shoots and some of the leafed out hosta. How do new clematis shoots handle frost. I've never had this happen before. Thanks Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis and frost advice

For some odd reason, I've never thought about this situation in connection with clematis, but I'd hazard a guess they will do all right. I've grown clematis on the back fence for years, mostly ignoring them until they bloomed. Since almost every year we have one or more late freezes, they must be fairly tough--I've never done anything to protect them under such circumstances.

Perhaps others have had different result.

Kate

o

We had a devastating late freeze a few years ago that damaged trees, my roses and nearly everything except the clematis. I never really understood why that was so, but I was happy for the fact that I at least had clematis blooms that year. I've never had clematis damaged by the late freezes we get here on a fairly regular basis.

Carol

o

Many Clematis are hardy down to zone 3, most to 5 so they should be fine.

o

Thank you so much I did cover the roses I'll never forget the damage done by that same spring freeze. I'll admit I coverd a few clems also. Thanks again Pat

o

That big Easter freeze a few years back killed my Sweet Autumn Clematis. SAC had 4-5 feet of nice new growth when the freeze hit. Within 2 days of the freeze all that growth had turned limp and white. The plant never recoevered or re-grew. Last year I purchased a replacement late in the season (so I was sure I got one with fragrance)

This was the only Clematis I've ever had that was damaged by cold temperatures (in fact, my triternata Rubromarginata has been growing since late Feb here and was unfazed by temps in the high 20's last night)

~Chills

o

We got 6" of snow a few days ago and all the clematis were already growing. So far all of them look great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here