Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyw5

Clematis and frost advice

Like it or not my clematis came up. Most are about six inches to a foot tall and leafed out. I know the perennials will be fine. Unfortunatly any frost will toast the new rose shoots and some of the leafed out hosta. How do new clematis shoots handle frost. I've never had this happen before. Thanks Pat

Comments (10)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

For some odd reason, I've never thought about this situation in connection with clematis, but I'd hazard a guess they will do all right. I've grown clematis on the back fence for years, mostly ignoring them until they bloomed. Since almost every year we have one or more late freezes, they must be fairly tough--I've never done anything to protect them under such circumstances.

Perhaps others have had different result.

Kate

• carolfm
    14 years ago

We had a devastating late freeze a few years ago that damaged trees, my roses and nearly everything except the clematis. I never really understood why that was so, but I was happy for the fact that I at least had clematis blooms that year. I've never had clematis damaged by the late freezes we get here on a fairly regular basis.

Carol

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Many Clematis are hardy down to zone 3, most to 5 so they should be fine.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much I did cover the roses I'll never forget the damage done by that same spring freeze. I'll admit I coverd a few clems also. Thanks again Pat

• chills71
    14 years ago

That big Easter freeze a few years back killed my Sweet Autumn Clematis. SAC had 4-5 feet of nice new growth when the freeze hit. Within 2 days of the freeze all that growth had turned limp and white. The plant never recoevered or re-grew. Last year I purchased a replacement late in the season (so I was sure I got one with fragrance)

This was the only Clematis I've ever had that was damaged by cold temperatures (in fact, my triternata Rubromarginata has been growing since late Feb here and was unfazed by temps in the high 20's last night)

~Chills

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

We got 6" of snow a few days ago and all the clematis were already growing. So far all of them look great.

• gpuffinb
    8 years ago

Great info. We've had an unusually run of freezing temps in VA after several weeks of well above average temps that made everything pop, including new clematis growth. I covered it to no avail. It's next to a brick chimney, but now completely black. Do I cut all of this off? Cut the two-year-old woody vine down to ground? Do I just start over one more time?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

IME, clematis will easily tolerate multiple episodes of being cut back during a single season. Cutting back the frozen portions will only recharge the plant to push out new growth and it should be fine (as long as no root damage). Depending on the type, you could miss flowering this season but even that is not a foregone conclusion :-) Clems are pretty tough plants.

• HU-683305552
    2 years ago

My plant sustained a deep freeze last week and as big and hardy as it was,it's limp and falls to the ground. Does that mean it's been damages and may never come back?

• Alana8aSC
    2 years ago

Most clematis will be fine and come back. What clematis was it?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living