Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

How much fertilizer?

ginjj
14 years ago

I've read a lot of posts and people talk about different fertilizers they use on clematis but no mention of how much.

I'm looking at a package of Kellogg Natural & Organic Tomato, Vegetable & Herb fertilizer which is 4-6-3 and it says to use one and one half cups for a 3x3' area of soil. Seems like an awful lot. I checked online and their "rose food" is 4-6-4 - not much different.

I read someplace to apply 2T of fertilizer per clematis.

My plants are about 4-5 years old.

I do know it depends on which product you use. I would appreciate some of you sharing exactly what you use, the NPK and how much you apply.

Thanks

Ginny

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Each fertilizer has a different formula and should be applied at the rate on the label.

Some are significantly more concentrated than others. Organics tend to be much less concentrated than synthetics.

No one application rate fits all fertilizers

• ginjj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If it is safe to use the recommendation for roses on clematis then that would simplify it. Is that a safe assumption?

I just checked online, made phone calls and went to the nursery and this is what I came up with (all rose foods and all per rose):

Plant Tone 5-3-3......... 1c every month

Whitney Farms 4-6-2......... 1c every 6 weeks

EB Stone 5-6-3......... 1 1/2c every 2 months

Dr Earth 5-7-2......... 2c every 3 months per inch of trunk diameter 4-6 inches above soil line

So my question to all of you is, do you apply the 1 cup to each of your clematis vines? (or more for EB Stone and Dr Earth.)

For some reason, I really want to get this straight in my head!!

Thanks again,
    Ginny

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

It is safe to use the recommendation for roses on Clematis IF the Clematis are mature.

Clematis are often sold in tiny little pots as scraggly little vines. You would not fertilize such a tiny plant the same as a rose bush.

• ginjj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your help with this buyorsell!
    Ginny

• julieiwuc
    14 years ago

Hi Ginny,

I'm not an exact science kind of gardener. I guess at amounts. I might read the package and then throw a handful of the fertilizer around. I'm not much help but thought I'd mention it anyway. Where are you in Calif?

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    14 years ago

Buy or Sell,

How much fertilizer do I need for my tiny little new clems that came in pots from 2-4 inches sq? A certain percentage of rec for adult rose? Or do I need fertilizer right now if I use enriched soil? Lowe's sells Scotsman's Landscape Mix that's been recommended to me to mix in when I dig the hole & I've got Osmocote (19-6-12). Should I use Osmocote now since I'm working on foliage & don't expect flowers the lst yr? Pkg: 1/3 capful/10" pot outdoors. Little clems have been recuperating from long mail order trip. I've been told to plant them in the ground ASAP because my z8 Central Louisiana gets so hot in the summer. Advice greatly appreciated. Ginny, thanks for your great list!

• ginjj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julieiwic, thanks for your comments. I need to become less precise with my garden that's for sure. I live in San Jose.

I'm looking forward to a reply to Buy or Sell's question as I too have a tiny one I hope will grow. I actually bought it at Walmart as a bare root. Looked almost dead but I planted it in a pot, deep, watered, and will wait and see. I love a bargain!!

Ginny

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!