Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charleney_gw

another newbie here

charleney
9 years ago

Tiny clematis starts ( roots) from Costco. Planted them deep in 12 and 14 in "pots. It has been mostly just raining and raining again for a couple of weeks. Had only one day last week that I watered them as the surface looked dry. They have not shown their pretty heads yet. I have well composted horse manure, and I also have aqua crystals that I could put around the inside rim. BUT!!! should I do either of those. They are now in Miracle Gro potting soil.

Comments (14)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Doesn't the potting soil already contain nutrients? Have patience and keep the CostCo receipt. Save the manure for roses and send me the crystals :-)

Had they sprouted in their bags? Also I check the soil below the surface for dampness.

• charleney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like good advice to me. The roots were so TINY. I planted them anyway. Dog or squirrels dug in one pot, just after planted. And of course that was the most frail . Wouldn't be Costco fault on that one if it does not survive. But the rest were decent. All were VERY small.
    I do put crystals in coconut hanging baskets, so wondered about the crystals when weather heats up.
    Thank You!

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Give them some time. Don't think they need anything else than the good potting mix at this point.

I start clematis from seed and have transplanted ones with small root systems into small square pots and later pot up as roots start to show out the bottom of the pot.

They do need attention but be careful not to over water. If it is too wet from raining move the pots to a covered area so they can dry a bit.

My Costco does not sell bare root clematis. Just curious as to the varieties you bought.

Good luck.

• charleney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to find the envelope. 4 in it! I cut out the name, because I knew someone would ask. It is raining and I will go to the garage (potting table) asap

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I bought a package with a few varieties. They each came up at different times, including the same variety that were planted in different areas. So I would not give up just yet!

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

You definitely need to know the names as they are pruned differently.

You probably don't need the crystals here in the PNW

I have over fifty in the yard in pots and the ground most covered with buds. You should have growth by now unless they were dead or without crowns. They should not be selling roots without green growing crowns....

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Just thought I'd chime in as well. Also bought Costco clematis (4 to a bag) simply because they had a variety that is nearly impossible to find except by mail order. And this was about 6-8 weeks ago, when they still had a lot of bare root perennials in stock. Decided to share with my sister (I ea.of two different kinds) who is the Costco member but lacks any kind of green thumb :-)

I took home and potted up in gallon containers to grow on to planting size. All 4 plants had healthy roots and at least some indication of new green growth from the root crown. 3 of the 4 wasted no time in emerging - the Ramonas strong and healthy and now about 15" tall. Only one of the florida Sieboldii made an appearance and as its less hardy nature dictates, is now about 6" tall. Had pretty much given up on the second sieboldii - 8 weeks or so and not a sign. And then yesterday while working out on my deck, I noticed just a tiny little sprout of green peeking above the soil surface. Finally......a sign of life!!

The moral to this story is don't give up too soon. Knowing full well that bare root starts of any perennial are risky at best and clematis at the top end of the scale but the price was too good ($11.99 for all 4!!!) and the selection too enticing. Just be patient.....each plant moves to its own timetable.

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

I've killed so many florida sieboldiis and friends. Even in my heated greenhouse they don't live. Why do they have to be so gorgeous?

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

I covet them also, but I don't think it's happening here in zone 5!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Yeah, I've killed a few myself although I distinctly recall some poster to this forum living in the Midwest (I think - maybe Canada?) who supposedly grew them easily. What's with that??

Anyway, at that price, I couldn't resist trying again :-))

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I have grown Florida Seiboldi for several years in a pot which over winters in my unheated garage. Still waiting to see if it survived this past winter. Have moved my potted clematis outside but haven't seen any new growth yet. Still early, only some of the in ground ones are starting to bud. This week's warm temps and sunlight should bring those buds out.

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

mnwsgal, I have just planted a Florida Seiboldi that I mail ordered. I was not aware it might be difficult to grow. I planted it directly on a west facing Oblisk, soon after it arrived. It is slow growing, but gets only part sun, is there something I need to do to help it out? Thanks, Debra

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I remember Miguel knew someone, maybe in Indiana, who grew Florida Seiboldi successfully in the ground.

I am still waiting to see if my potted FS came back. Last winter something ate the roots of another potted clematis in the garage. It has been cold and cloudy here so many have not yet shown any growth. Others have shown good growth. A few days of sunshine and warmth should bring the reluctant ones forth.

I don't do anything special for Florida Seiboldi except grow it in a pot and overwinter in my unheated garage.

Good luck with yours and be sure to mulch it well this winter.

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

I never noticed when I purchased it that it was only hardy to zone 7, and I'm in zone 6. I may let it do it's thing this summer, then pot it up in the fall and move it to a safe place. I must of been too excited that it was on sale and how gorgeous it was, I never looked at the zone. Oh well, I hope it does great for me this summer, it does have one bud.... :-)