Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis rookie

Posted by allstats Virginia (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:58

I am a BIG rookie on this flower but love it .
I purchased 6 last year a purple Jack a matis (?) and a pink alos I got 4 passiflora (passionflower ) that I was told was the same family . I put 2 in containers and the other 4 in the ground ( I guess I should add I live in Va ). but this site is awesome info .question being I had beautiful blooms last year on all plants , so when should I start to see these come to life again as all I see now is brown twigs ,not brittle but not green either .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis rookie

I'm quite a bit north of you, but many of mine are starting to grow now. Not all of them, but some. Have you looked really closely? Some of mine start by sending up new stems right from the ground level, so you have to bend way over to see them, and some of the others look dead, but if you look closely at the stems you can see the buds swelling and turning green. Yours probably should be showing signs of life now, but you really have to look hard for it.

o

Clematis and passionflower are not the same family at all - very different vines with very different characteristics. Passionflowers get huge and are mostly evergreen and often invasive in many settings. If not showing any signs of green at this time, it's likely yours did not survive the winter. Growing vines in containers can be a little challenging if you are not familiar with the vine. They are certainly more prone to winter cold damage under thee conditions.

btw, your 'Jack a matis' is probably Clematis Jackmanii, one of the earliest hybrid clematis and still one of the best.

o

Your VA climate should be very good for a passion vine to get out of control. If that's what you wanted, it'll definitely work. But if not, you might want to pot up the passion vine also.

o

What you are being told about the passion vine is that one day you will see the vine appear across your lawn and wonder how it got there. If that is not what you want, keep it in a pot. Your neighbor may wonder what is growing in his beds......

Just trolling through.. sorry...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here