Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare base on evergreen clematis

Posted by keithinwoodstock 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 23:10

My vine is a few years old and has reached the peak of our two story house. It's lush at the top and is thinner closer to the base, with the first 5' of vine bare. anyone know if there is a way to encourage new growth at the bottom? Thanks much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare base on evergreen clematis

I am assuming this is C. armandii? There is not a lot you can do - it is the nature of the plant itself to produce a bare base. All clematis (and most other vines as well) will do so over time if left unpruned. But since evergreen vines tend not to get pruned very frequently, if at all, this crops up more noticeably. Plus, the very large size of this vine encourages a more noticeable bare appearance.

The only thing I could suggest is to allow several long stems to develop but rather than training them upward, let them, cascade over the rest of the vine. This happened by accident with my very large armandii and the effect was exactly what you are looking for -- the foliage looked lush all the way to the base of the plant and it seemed to flower from the ground up.

The alternative is to plant something in front of the vine that will cover up the bareness.

o
RE: Bare base on evergreen clematis

thanks very much, G. both good suggestions on a coverup. it would be nice to bring some of the bloom down, too. we had 3 weeks of bloom but most of the scent was 30 feet in the air:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here