Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just bought 2 clems online

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 23:34

Hi clematis people,

I have been lurking here for a while. Well, my dad's Crystal Fountain bloomed, and I had to take action.
I just ordered Mme. Julia Correvon and something des Violettes from Silver something nursery online. I tried to choose plants that had a chance of surviving my gardening skills. Did I do OK?

Thanks all for the tips and sources for plants. I'll post photos of my Home Depot Bees knees? and the one that looks like a passion flower (sieboldii?) in the near future.

And I promise to look up and memorize all of their names, too.

Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just bought 2 clems online

If you ordered from Silver Star Vinery you should get fabulous plants.

Did you order Etoile Violette? I have it and it is a keeper.

o

Yes, I did. Silver Star Vinery. And it is called Etoile Violette. And the one I already have growing in the wrong place is Bees Jubilee, not Bees Knees.

I am digging my holes this week for delivery on May 6. Can I plant them together? I want them to grow into one another, and the spot is in a rare area where I can have "feet in the shade, head in the sun".

Should I plant them at a bit of an angle, or just normally?

Thank you,
Renee

o

Mme. Julia Correvon was one of my first clematis plants and has been a terrific bloomer every year. I knew little about clematis when I got her and she survived and prospered in spite of my ignorance.

Click on thumbnail
Clematis 'Madame Julia de Correvon'

I've read good comments here from others about Etoile Violette and bought a 4" pot last year and potted it up to a gallon pot. Haven't decided where it will go yet.

o

They do not have to have their feet in the shade and heads in the sun. They just need to have moist soil. They don't cope with drought well. You don't have to run all over your garden looking for shady rootzones. If they are really small then being in the shade won't help them growing.

Those two both get really big, I would not put them in the same hole but they can be close together so they weave together.

They are both type III hard pruners.

Dig the holes big and plant them 3" deeper and on an angle towards the support/trellis.

My Etoile Violette is three feet from it's neighbor Betty Corning on the same trellis and they mix nicely.

o

Thank you for the advice; I will do as directed and get photos the first time they bloom.

Love love love Julia, mnwsgal. It sounds like the two I chose are good started clematis.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here