Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying This Clematis

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 23:49

We were touring the Azalea Trail in Tyler, Tx and I saw 2 gorgeous huge white clematis plants. I thought they were Henryii and was going to order some but after seeing photos of Henryii, they are not similiar. I have enclosed a photo I took - can anyone identify it? It is huge - white - flowers are enormous! Thanks for any help!
Judith

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying This Clematis

Pretty sure it's Shirayukihime

:-)

o

I would say it is Guernsey Cream which is quite common.
I've never seen Shirayukihime offered for sale.

o

A bit too white for Guernsey Cream and I too have never seen Shirayukihime for sale (and I've worked for one of the largest wholesale clematis growers in the country).
It is often difficult to be certain of the ID of large flowered hybrids -- bloom time, size and even precise coloring can be heavily influenced by location and climate. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess this one to be C. languinosa 'Candida' for its quite early, very large and pure white blooms

o

The home I was touring on the azalea trail was fabulous...lots of rockwork, many different kinds of plants, but plants common to our area - I wouldnt think the owners would procur a hard to find clematis and feel certain it would be one easy to come by. I looked up Candida - so far, this seems the best match. The flowers were HUGE....brilliant white....light colored stamens, not coffee colored like Henryii. If this is in fact what it is.....can anyone tell me about growing this? I plan to order it - fell totally in love with it. I grow several clematis [Mrs. Cholmondeley,Violet Charm, Fireworks, Jackmanii and a couple I have lost the tags for] but after seeing this - am interested in planting more. I think I will order from Brushwood - any other vendor suggestions?
Thanks for the help!
Judith

o

Brushwood has an excellent reputation among members of this group. :)

o

It's definately Candida

o

^ You're right.

o
oops

^ You're right.

o

I have ordered from Brushwood, Silver Star Vinery, and Hummingbird Farm more than once each. Quite happy with the quality of the plants and the excellent service from all 3 nurseries.

o

Thanks for all the help! Going to order this one right away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here