Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Harlow Carr Needs a Miracle

Posted by iris_9 z9CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 23:59

My poor Harlow Carr...I just bought it at a plant sale today and wanted to plant it quickly. I planted it on one side of the arbor, and then decided it would do better on the other side and in trying to dig it up, lost half the root ball. Then dug hole on other side and planted it deeply. Now read that they should be planted only to depth of plant in container. Do you think it will make it, given the poor start I've given it? I'm afraid to try digging it up again for fear of damaging the roots more. Any advice (or encouragement) will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Harlow Carr Needs a Miracle

Do not worry! Deep planting is recommended by most of the Clematis experts. It protects the crown and helps to promote multiple vines development.
Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. It will be fine!

o

You know Harlow is a non climber right? You'll have to tie to the arbor and it won't grow all the way up and over.

I planted most of my integrifolias deep, would not worry about that.

o

Uh oh...did not know that it doesn't climb! I thought they were all climbers . On the tag it says it grows 9-11 feet so I thought it would climb! Is keeping it in an upright position difficult? Maybe I should let it be a groundcover? Too bad I didn't research first! Thanks for the replies and encouragement though!

o

Non-climbing Clematis look lovely as grouncovers or planted next to shrubs. This can create an interesting visual effect: it looks like shrubs are blooming with Clematis flowers. And it gives you an opportunity to incorporate more Clematis into your garden!

Here is my non-climbing Pink Flamingo:

Pink Flamingo with opened flowers

o

'Harlow Carr' is a hybrid with integrifolia in its parentage. While integrifolias are not considered climbers, HC DOES climb to a certain extent and will need vertical support -- unless you intend to allow it to ramble through other plants. It just doesn't vine to attach itself to a support like other clems do so needs some assistance, as BorS indicates. Mine climbs and completely covers a small (~4') iron trellis - would be larger if I was using a larger support system :-) And it is also the heaviest blooming clematis I've ever grown.

I also second the deep planting instructions for ANY clematis, regardless of type.

o

Oh good...I'm relieved. I'll let it stay where it is by the arbor and look forward to seeing blooms on this new type of clematis (at least for me!)

o

Yes, I meant you would have to help it, to tie it. I should have said non clinger. Mine is barely alive in a pot as I haven't figured out where to put it.

I just caged Petite Faucon and Alionushka because they were too heavy on surrounding shrubs to allow to stay supported by them. They were smothering them. Gazelle and Juuli do very well supported on shrubs and wandering through beds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here