Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is My Clematis dead?

Posted by house_first_timer 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 0:27

I have a 2 yr old Ernest Markham planted in the ground at the same spot but somehow it hasn't come out yet at all.

My other clematis have started to bloom. Is it dead? :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is My Clematis dead?

I don't know, but if you look at my "Did I kill my 5 year old Jackmanii" thread, you may be encouraged. =)

o

Again..like Hearty you are in a zone 5 and still is early for some clematis..just remember to keep watering that spot ..it might just not wanna wake up as early as the rest of your clems..sleepy heads...Jeanne

o

mehearty,

Yea, I saw your thread :)

jeanne_texas,

Thanks for the info, let's hope so. I've been watering the plant.

o

I have two clemantis planted in different areas..this is the first year that they haven't bloomed. The leaves are growning well..but no blooms as yet. Do I need to dig up and plant new ones?

o

No..you don't need to dig them up...it's still early...let them grow and bloom..new leaves is a good thing..did you give them fertilizer?...Jeanne

o

What Jeannie said.

The nights have been very cool this spring, which contributes to bloom time delay.

o

No, fertilizer.. I think I read it shouldn't be a regular plant fertilizer. Your right it has been cool. We may have frost tonight and tomorrow night..in Ohio.

o

Fertilize them with an organic rose or tomato fertilizer or manure or compost or alfalfa pellets.

o

I just got in from covering the tender things because we're suppose to have frost tonight, too. I don't have enough stuff to cover the clematis, but they are pretty hardy. The first bloom started opening today, so I cut it and brought it in the house. As it warmed up the sepals fell open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here