Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis, toxicity, and children

Posted by purpleivy none (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 0:38

This is a rather panicked first post - I just bought a clematis (Etoile Violette) and have realised after the fact that it is supposedly poisonous if eaten or even touched. I'm surprised - it doesn't sound like most people develop rashes or worse by being in contact with it judging from the enthusiasm for the plant. My biggest concern is my toddler who still puts random things in her mouth. Should I not plant this as planned? Any thoughts would be welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis, toxicity, and children

I have more than 50 clematis and have never had any kind of a skin reaction to them even though many plants give me contact dermatitis. I prune my clematis and brush against them working in the garden. I wouldn't worry about skin contact unless you are planning on rolling naked in it.

From what I read, you would have to eat quite a bit of clematis to have an adverse reaction, and they taste bitter. It causes vomiting and digestive upsets. I wouldn't leave a toddler unattended in the garden regardless, but only you know how likely your daughter would be to be able to chew up and swallow enough to make her sick. I do have friends who have kids and clematis. Regardless, it would be good to start training her at this age that some things shouldn't be eaten without checking with you or another adult first.

o

Call Poison Control to ask your questions re toxicity -- 1-800-222-1222

o

Clematis are not poisonous if touched. IF they were, I'd be dead.....

I have 50 or so and touch them with bare skin all the time...

o

Thanks for all the replies. I've gone ahead and planted it - can't find too many replacement climbers I like that aren't toxic. And yes, it seems you'd have to consume quite a bit for it to be dangerous.

o

I was concerned about this very thing as this is my first year having clematis. My son doesn't put much in his mouth (except the sand he tried to eat a couple weeks ago O.o ) but my dog will lick anything off the ground and I was concerned for both of them being around the two clematis I bought. I ended up getting one of those decorative garden fences that are about 1ft high and placing it around them with a little extra room for leaves or petals that may fall off just keep them out of reach. Kids and pets do random things sometimes.

o

I was concerned about this very thing as this is my first year having clematis. My son doesn't put much in his mouth (except the sand he tried to eat a couple weeks ago O.o ) but my dog will lick anything off the ground and I was concerned for both of them being around the two clematis I bought. I ended up getting one of those decorative garden fences that are about 1ft high and placing it around them with a little extra room for leaves or petals that may fall off just keep them out of reach. Kids and pets do random things sometimes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here