Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris2001

harlow carr not returning ...yet?

kris2001
14 years ago

Clem harlow carr that I bought last year , bloomed well, I hard pruned in last dec.

Now I see small shoots but they never come out...what should I do?

Comments (18)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Just be patient....keep moist and fertilize with either rose or tomato fertilizer..since you just planted her last year..she is still getting her roots established and once those are happily at home..she will grow like a weed next year...Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Mine is 2-3 feet already. It is in a warm spot next to the garage and receives nearly full sun from around 10 am on.

If you have had a cold spring like we have, and it is in a lot of shade, maybe the soil hasn't warmed up enough yet.

• bradarmi
    14 years ago

I second that as well, I had a few that were stil not up yet, but I think the soil they are in is still cool since they are all partially shaded. The clematis in full sun or exposed are already 3-6 feet tall already. Yet the ones along the north of the house are only 3-6 inches tall!! Also, the ones planted in those shady places are newer than the ones in the sun!!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Much patience is required with Clematis. They just aren't instant gratification plants. :)

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still have not seen it comin out...plus that spot is always a bit moist , is that the issue? Should I dig and transplant? Can I save my H. carr??

Thks:)

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

You are seeing progress right? It's still alive?

If it makes you feel any better, I have 2 plantings from last year that are still muscling there way up. I see progress, but they are only a few mm out of the soil now. It has just been down right cold by me, a very unusual spring. Plus these are in more shade than the rest.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

My Harlow Carr is in its 2nd full year in the ground. I did not bury it deeper when I planted. It started growing strong almost immediately after going in and it has been multiply nicely since. It is about to bloom. One thing that should be mentioned is it that it really needs full sun, and doesn't require a lot of water.

If it were my clem, I dig it up to see what was going on. You have nothing to lose at this point.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I do see green shoots deep inside...Not growing thats all!

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

FWIW, my Harlow Carr (in its second year) was the last clem to show itself to the world this spring. Clematis teach one patience, i guess. GaryStPaul

• kanuk
    14 years ago

I would just wait. I thought my clematis was dead and not coming back this year. This is the second year & my only clematis so I have no experience with them.
    I seriously thought it died. I left it in the ground while I worked in the vegetable garden and thought I'd dig it out when I got around to the perennials & that side of the property.
    Up until 4 days ago there were NO signs of life. None. Today it is almost 3 feet high and leafing out.
    I hope this is the same case for you.
    All the best.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok its july 4th and still no leaves yet...I do see small green shoots deep inside...

Is it because I planted it deep?
    This area is always cool and wet...Its shallow compared to the road nearby , so it gets more rain water...

So will it come in august at 90F weather? Or is my clem gone?

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I'm glad you are seeing some signs of life.

How deep did you plant it? Integrifolia types should be planted no more than an inch deep. I planted mine the same depth that it was in the pot.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Guess i planted mine too deep , as per somehere I read that to avoid wilt plant clems deep!!!

So its too cool for it to come out right - what do I do to save it?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

That advice doesn't count for integrifolia types.

Plant it somewhere in full sun at a higher depth.

There are many different types of Clematis with different requirements.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok I dug up the area around the root. I see silver shoots on top and roots (brown and thick) below. Should I move that whole ball now?

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I dug up the root ball now, its the size of a football...can I pot it? what size pot?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Why do you want to pot it instead of planting in a sunnier location in the ground?

Clematis need BIG pots.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

BorS , Yes I did move it to a pot in a sunny loc and its coming out and FAST !!! Woo hoo...maybe some clems are sensitive to come out when its cool deep down !

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH