Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late bloomers?

Posted by stinky-gardener 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 1:21

Silly me, I posted over on the gallery side with this question! Let's try this again.

Hi everyone! Have enjoyed a brilliant show for the last several weeks featuring Jackmanni with a Zepherine Drouhin rose, & a lavender clematis that I don't know the name of. The roses are all finished, & the clematis are starting to fade. Soon the blooms will be all gone! What can I plant so that I can enjoy seeing a fabulous clematis vine on my trellis for the rest of the summer?

I keep seeing "Ernest Markham" listed as a late bloomer, but I'm confused about what color he is! Some pics feature & describe him as red, while in others he looks quite hot pink. Does anyone know what the real deal is?

I live in zone 7/borderline with zone 8. My clematis are growing on substantial trellises. Here's a pic, but the clematis were only demonstrating about 15% of what they eventually produced a couple of weeks after I took this pic. Wish I'd captured the full bloom time. It was striking!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis & rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late bloomers?

Madame Baron Veillard is very late, almost too late for my garden. Frost usually gets it just when it is in full bloom. It get big, too.

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=270

Note that Lady Betty Balfour is another late bloomer.

o

Earnest Markham is hot pink. This picture was taken in May or June so not very late....

o

My question to you is, how do you contain that rose? I finally had to take out my Zeph. It made 15 ft canes, all I got done was cutting her back.

o

Thanks, JanetP! Madame BV is a wonderful lilac shade that would work with my other plantings. I may order one. Saw it available online at "Brushwood Nursery."

Buyorsell, thanks for the Ernest M. pic. It's gorgeous, & a color that I love. I may order one of those too, from Jackson Perkins! That would give me late spring, mid-summer, & early fall clematis coverage!

Flowergirl, have only been in this house 3 yrs. Planted Zeph 2.5 yrs. ago & this was the first serious flush it has produced. I don't know what is in store with the rose in the future. I just had to try it though, as I was intrigued by the "thornless" feature it has!

I appreciate the feedback. I look forward to having more seasons to enjoy this great flower, the Clematis, now that I've been pointed toward a couple of options. Thanks!

o

That's me, stinky-gardener (aka gingeropal!) Don't know why I was prompted to give that info, but there you have it!

o

Interesting about Madame BV as I just got one from my local nursery (talk about awesome roots!) and it already had buds on it. Now I'm wondering if it might be mis-labeled. One thing I have read about MBV was to put her in full sun so that you get blooms before it frosts.

o

Another option stinky gardener is if you want blooms later in the season is to trim all of your type IIs and IIIs back after blooming by half, keep them well watered and fertilized with a high phosphorus fertilizer and you will more than likely get them to rebloom in late summer/early fall seeing as how you are in zone 7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here