Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cardinal Wysyski-Did I kill it?

Posted by luv2garden Z5IL (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 1:22

I bought a decent sized pot of this beauty, along with General Sikorski. the general is doing beautiful, but Cardinal is not. I haven't had time to plant them, left the in a sun/shade area near lilacs. Checked water & kept moist.
I looked at it today and I swear it is dead. Some stems dry & brittle, levels shriveled. I went back to the garden center and they were like, well it could be irregular watering or the cold (Chicago Z5) we have had (not to mention rain). You should plant asap. (which I am doing in the morning). Does anyone think there is hope for this, or should I go back to the store and argue it out? $20 was a lot - but as I said, General was right next to Cardinal, and is freely flowing. Clematis is a new addition to my garden. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd hate for Cardinal to croak.Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cardinal Wysyski-Did I kill it?

Maybe, maybe not. I have seen clematis in pots at big box stores that often get hit and miss watering with dried stems but new growth pushing up from the crown. Good sales bargains for the knowing costumer.

Go ahead and plant it or sink the pot in the ground and keep it watered. Most stores will allow one to bring back a plant throughout the season.

Suggestions for planting new clematis. Plant tilted towards your trellis, several inches deeper than the top of the pot. Also trim the stems to 6-8 inches to encourage more stems from the crown.

Pllease let us know what results.

o

Thanks, I will do just that and see what happens. The dried out stems do worry me. I will keep you posted.

o

You should be worried about the crown and roots not the stems.

Plant it deep in a big well dug hole and sprinkle some alfalfa pellets around it and cut it back hard too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here