Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two new plantings ??? ..

Posted by Ibanez540r none (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 1:34

I received my second and third clematis from Silver Star Vinery about 2 weeks ago and immediately put them in the ground (Jackmanii & Barbara Harrington). The were still somewhat damp and looked just like the original I ordered from her a year ago. No shipping or packaging problems. They were pruned down as normal but still had some green growth.

Anyway I dug each a hole plenty wide (2-3x) and a little deep. Supplemented my clay soil - 50% original with 25% planting soil and 25% humus/composted manure mix. Planted them each at a 45 degree angle and about 2-3in under the surface. Recovered with 2-3 in. of mulch.

When I did the same procedure last year I swear I already had new shoots coming out of the ground? Am I just psyching myself out? Just worried they aren't going to make it. When should I see some action popping out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two new plantings ??? ..

Your mulch might be a problem. It is difficult for tender new shoots to grow through mulch. I only mulch my plants when new growth is already up. And I try to put mulch so it does not touch shoots - they might rot.

Otherwise, do not worry :) Sometimes, newly planted Clematis sit for a while before starting to grow. If you have a good drainage and do not have critters that can eat roots, your Clematis will grow and bloom for you soon!

o

Thanks! I kind of second guessed the mulch as I was typing that post. After reading yours I went out there and pulled it back from the clems.

o

So Jackmanii finally decided to pop out, still waiting on Barbara Harrington.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here