Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Wilting

Carole Westgaard
14 years ago

I have ten clems on one 20-foot fence/trellis and two look 'wilted'. The leaves all of a sudden just went limp and look like they're not going to perk up. We've had a 50-year record breaking rain in the past month. Can some clems be affected by more water than others? Why would two of them wilt and not the others,which are planted in the same kind of soil, same depth, same everything. I've heard they can get some kind of fungus. How do I treat? I was going to use Bordeau (copper sulphate) mixed w/H20 today but thought I'd better check with you guys first. Pink Champagne bloomed it's head off and the others that look healthy have set bud, yet these two set bud and the buds are drooping.

Westy (Chicagoland)

Comments (7)

• carol23_gw
    14 years ago

Just be certain some of the stems haven't been damaged by wind or rabbits. I found two wilted stems on a hybrid Clematis and when I followed those stems to the ground, I found them completely severed. A baby rabbit has been making its rounds and has been cutting off many plants.
    Another problem is the tremendous spring growth of the vines is very tender. Storms and wind can easily break the stems and cut off the flow of water and nutrients.

A Clematis nursery owner gave a program which included information on wilt. He stated that most wilting problems are not due to Clematis wilt but to these other factors mentioned above.

I have now used wire mesh circles around the base of most of my Clematis.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Fungicide won't cure wilt when it is caused by the top growth being too much for the roots to support or a vine that has been damaged.

It is very common for Clematis (especially type IIs) to outgrow their roots in their first few years which is why it is recommended to hard prune all Clematis the first few years to let their roots get off to a really good start.

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot...really helps. I saw a BIG rabbit out there today and I also took the advice of following the vines down and see breaks - gotta be the wind. I will be purchasing the wire mesh circles - or making them. Did you buy them and if so, where? Also will severely prune next early Spring. I did SOME of them to 'test' the results and those are much fuller. The ones I didn't touch have one measly vine. Live and learn.

Thanks again,
    Westy

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Just be glad you learned the pruning lesson early. Some of mine were almost ten years old before I found this forum and learned it. Their tags said no prune so that is what I did.....One measly vine after ten years is not fun. It is no wonder I didn't have dozens of them years ago when I sold them retail and had access to hundreds of varieties.

• veryzer
    14 years ago

Buyorsell (or anyone else) is it common for them to get wilt again AFTER being hard pruned? I bought a larger sized snow queen last year. Only one vine made it through our winter, so it sent up 4 or 5 new ones. They grew to about ten feet and started to wilt. Should I hard prune now or wait until everything dies.

There have been two outbreaks separated by about three weeks. There is no black goo by the nodes or anything either. So I don't know if it's "clematis wilt" but I know my entire clematis is wilting.

Thanks

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I had a somewhat similar problem with a Henryi I bought this year. He came mailorder and was a nice, large and healthy looking clem. I planted him and pruned down a couple weeks later. Ever since I pruned him down he started turning brown and cripsy! Now, I had to cut him down to the ground! I do hope he survives under the soil. Maybe I should have left him unpruned this year?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

No, the pruning had nothing to do with it.

Hard pruning when you plant and the first year is absolutely the best thing to do.

Yes, they can "wilt" again after growing up after hard pruning. My 'Lady Gray' has done that this year.

Clematis can be very frustrating. Especially Type IIs.

Most Type IIIs don't do this.

Plant them deep, cut them down, fertilize, keep watered and have patience.