Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I dug to China yesterday!

Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 5:15

Ever needed to dig up a mature clematis? Well, yesterday I tackled digging up my Comtesse de Bouchard because what few leaves formed this year died. It was in the Group C class or Type 3 category. Now I have no idea how old this clematis was as it was planted by the previous owners of our house. We have only lived here 6 yrs. It has always performed beautifully but back last Fall, I decided to cut it back to about 12-18 inches above ground to get rid of the ugly brown dried leaves. This year it only produced probably 6 leaves and they looked diseased. Yesterday I decided to dig that clematis up..well, I think I dug to China! I used my digging fork, a hachet, pruning sheers, lobbing sheers. I have never seen so many entwined roots in my life! I filled up our recycle bucket almost to the top and I say that has a 5 gal capacity or more. I know I didn't get all of them up. The roots probably go further and deeper than I could get. I filled the hole with garden soil and leaf gro and will not plant another clematis there. This clematis had been planted at the corner of the brick facing to our garage; not in front where you would think somebody would plant it; so it would grow up the trellis easier. We'd like to get another clematis but will not plant it in same place.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Um, sorry but.....

Comtesse de Bouchard often gets mildew which is unsightly but not fatal. It is highly likely you went through all that work for nothing. Certainly nothing in the soil to stop you from planting another Clematis there, yours was probably not dead in the first place.

o
RE: I dug to China yesterday!

Thanks for your response. There was so sign of life, except those pitiful 6 leaves if there were that many. I looked up as much as I could on internet..Clematis wilt for example.
Oh well, what's done is done. Good workout, that was for sure.

o
RE: I dug to China yesterday!

Clematis wilt doesn't affect the viticella group.

Whats done is done but I didn't want you to think you had to avoid planting another Clematis in that spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here