Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much epson salts?

Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 5:24

I read where some of you feed your clematis epsons salts mixed with water. Do you do this after your clematis is in full bloom or before it blooms and how much epson salt to how much water mixture? What are the purpose of the epson salts to a clematis? When do you know it needs this mixture?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much epson salts?

There is no scientific basis behind the application of epsom salts to enhance plant growth.

Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate - it doesn't contain any "magic" ingredients for making plants grow better. It is true that both sulfur and magnesium are plant nutrients - but minor ones. Sulfur is nearly always present in sufficient quantity in the soil and with the application of nearly any type of synthetic fertilizer (and via many other common garden products). Magnesium deficiencies are usually present only in heavily cropped soils and over-application of magnesium can be harmful.

As with any other type of fertilizer, routine applications just because it's habit or because the advertisements of the manufacturers (like MiracleGro) would like you to believe your garden will not grow without it should be avoided. Fertilize only if soil tests indicate a need or if your plants are evidencing obvious signs of nutrient deficiency. In most cases, unnecessary fertilization is worse for the plants - and the planet - than not fertilizing at all.

If you mulch well with compost each season you will be replenishing pretty much any nutrient your plants require....no need to fertilize at all unless growing in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of epsom salts

o
RE: How much epson salts?

I am not a expert. I just want to make that clear. LOL I use a tablespoon of ES per gallon of water once a month. I have crappy soil that I have added compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here